Walking??

• Author
I have signed up to do the Silverstone Half Marathon and I am a first time runner.  My training has been knocked back completely as due to coughs and colds not been able to train for the past two months and at the moment the coughing kicks in quite quickly...does it matter if I have to walk most of it?

Thanks

Posted 28.01.13, 6:45pm

Hey., I wouldn't worry about it... I'm going to have an operation on my arm in the next couple of weeks, date will be confirmed on Wednesday, so will put me out of training for awhile. I understand I can't defer so I'm going to continue with it even if I have to walk every mile.... so you could join me :)

Posted 28.01.13, 7:10pm

Of course it doesn't matter! at your own pace is definitely the best and you'll enjoy it more that way :)

Posted 06.02.13, 5:24pm

Of course it doesn't matter! at your own pace is definitely the best and you'll enjoy it more that way :)

Posted 06.02.13, 5:24pm

I did it two years ago and walked quite a lot as i'd been ill, and I'll be walking quite a bit this year too! Finishing it is important, not your speed ;)

Posted 06.02.13, 6:30pm

I think that's a good idea, just go at your own pace. Hope you enjoy the race!

Posted 07.02.13, 2:20pm

yeah definitely, don't push yourself too hard, you could end up injuring yourself and no one wants that!

Posted 08.02.13, 9:18am

Yeah there is no problem with that, maybe try a walk/run/walk etc approach to the race.

Posted 10.02.13, 3:54pm

I'm quite stubborn and very hard on myself so for some reason I feel guilty for mixing walking and running during a race, when really, this is a really sensible option Smile

Posted 11.02.13, 9:55am

I know what you mean about the guilt, but really a little walk helps loads

Posted 14.02.13, 3:00pm

I wont worry , just use this year to learn about track etc ready for next time. See u there

Posted 17.02.13, 6:09pm