Amman International Marathon

• Author
So the next marathon coming up in Asia is the Amman International Marathon (http://www.amman-marathon.com/) Who's taking part?

Posted 04.09.12, 2:55pm

Just had a look at the site, must be hot as in the pictures basically everyone is wearing a hat!

Posted 07.09.12, 10:36am

I'm looking at taking part in this, are you Laura?

Posted 09.09.12, 4:54pm

Lots of people were wearing baseball caps yesterday at the race I took part in as it was a sunny day, and stupidly I'd never thought of doing this! Very sensible idea, as overheating only slows you down.

Posted 10.09.12, 5:10pm

Unfortunately I can't afford the travel expenses, Stevie! If it was over here in England I'd have a different excuse ;). It does sound like a good event though. I'm much more into my yoga and pilates nowadays.

Posted 11.09.12, 2:55pm

Yeah that's the only thing really isn't it. there are so many brilliant worldwide events, but they're limited to those who live there or who can afford to travel there.

Posted 12.09.12, 12:26pm

Quoted from LauraRTaylor:

Unfortunately I can't afford the travel expenses, Stevie! If it was over here in England I'd have a different excuse ;). It does sound like a good event though. I'm much more into my yoga and pilates nowadays.

Haha are you not much of a runner then?  i've never tried pilates - what's it like?  I like Yoga, very calming, relaxing but pilates looks quite hard!  I'm sure, like everything, it gets easier the more you do it.  Would you recommend pilates?

Posted 13.09.12, 2:38pm

I really enjoyed Pilates and found it quite a good workout

Posted 17.09.12, 3:18pm

I have never tried it but they do classes at my new gym so I would like to give it a go. It's not too boring is it?

Posted 18.09.12, 4:41pm

I'd love to try Pilates. I wasn't too keen on yoga (found it a bit boring) but would really like to give Pilates a go.

Posted 19.09.12, 12:20pm

The level of bore is mostly dependant on the instructor, yoga is part workout and part meditation in movement. It needs concentration. I struggle to concentrate around other people so I'm useless trying to do it at the gym. Pilates is very good, I always feel light on my feet afterwards.

I do enjoy yoga over pilates but they both have their plus points and benefits. If you concentrate on either you will achieve strength, balance, flexibility and grace... they just get you there in different ways.

Posted 20.09.12, 8:40am

I went on Wednesday and really enjoyed it after all! The instructor reeled off a big list of how Pilates can help with all sorts of things, so I'm going to stick at it.

Posted 21.09.12, 3:57pm

Things like what? All I know is that it can help with posture, balance and tone.

Posted 25.09.12, 11:09am

How do you do yoga without the gym GoneFishin - do you have a DVD or are you just familiar with the poses? Just as I would like to give it a go away from the gym as I didn't enjoy the gym class!

Posted 26.09.12, 9:24am

I think you can get yoga wii games, but not sure how good they are! Think they have classes online too

Posted 27.09.12, 2:12pm

I always wonder how instructors remember all the different poses, breathing techniques and lingo! Amazing.

Posted 27.09.12, 2:13pm

Quoted from hannah_mc:

How do you do yoga without the gym GoneFishin - do you have a DVD or are you just familiar with the poses? Just as I would like to give it a go away from the gym as I didn't enjoy the gym class!

I have a range of DVD's that I pick from, mood depending. I can do workouts freestyle as I'm quite familiar with most of the basic poses and movements (same for pilates), but I do like quiet talking in the background as guidance. I just don't like other people being in/around my space for those sorts of workout. I did a few classes to get an idea of technique, then did my own thing. I haven't injured yet, but I am qualified to instruct so I have some extra awareness of what I should/shouldn't be doing and how to adapt the moves safely.

It's not too difficult to remember the poses/breathing/techniques etc if you practice regularly. Instructors don't usually give themselves a proper workout when they're instructing either, it's more normal to demonstrate the move and then correct/teach the class.

Posted 27.09.12, 10:24pm

Do you have any recommendations for good DVDs? I have only ever done one class so need something that is good for beginners if you know of anything!

Posted 28.09.12, 9:31am

My girlfriend and my mum both use this one (below), they've found it great and not too strenuous, and they were complete beginners :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003X8CWBG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/277-8823471-1283011?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1SHK63GYG63SMETW5AGF&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B00127OOSO

Posted 01.10.12, 2:40pm

Ooh it's pricier than I thought, but looks good.

Posted 02.10.12, 4:54pm