Ocean Swims

• Author
Has anyone ever taken part in an Ocean Swim - what was it like?

Posted 28.10.11, 8:54am

Never done an Ocean Swim as such but done a few open water ones. Did one in the River Mersey 2 years ago (not the nicest or most tropical of venue but hey - the things we do for charity), it got pretty choppy at some points which isn't good at all, makes you lose your rhythm and upsets your breathing pattern. i'd imagine it's the same on an Ocean Swim.....not to mention avoiding strong current channels and boats.....and lets not forget about the jelly fish!!!! Are you thinking of having a go?

Posted 28.10.11, 10:56am

sounds scary- i'm scared of open water. can barely go in the sea on holiday! well done for braving the Mersey though! crikey!

Posted 30.10.11, 6:07pm

Me too - I'd be too scared of coming up close with a shark!

Posted 31.10.11, 11:19am

I didnt even like the jelly fish when I was on holiday, I've never even been stung by one. Bit of a scaredy cat

Posted 31.10.11, 4:29pm

I can't stand the thought of jelly fish- they're so ugly and scary!

Posted 01.11.11, 10:18am

It must be pretty hard to swim with so many people around you as it is without throwing in all the sea animals that sting/bite.

Posted 02.11.11, 11:59am

Quoted from jackt:

Never done an Ocean Swim as such but done a few open water ones. Did one in the River Mersey 2 years ago (not the nicest or most tropical of venue but hey - the things we do for charity), it got pretty choppy at some points which isn't good at all, makes you lose your rhythm and upsets your breathing pattern. i'd imagine it's the same on an Ocean Swim.....not to mention avoiding strong current channels and boats.....and lets not forget about the jelly fish!!!! Are you thinking of having a go?

You swam in the Mersey?! No way, I didn't think you could even swim in the Mersey! I'm not a fan of open water either, I hate going in the sea on holiday!

Posted 03.11.11, 11:03am

Did anyone see the jelly fish on Frozen Planet last night. OMG! They looked like electical alien robots. Never seen anything like them.

Posted 03.11.11, 11:03am

Quoted from jackt:

How did they go? I like the idea of doing one, but I'm not a strong enough swimmer really. How far were your swims?

Posted 07.11.11, 9:42am

They went really well to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the Mersey was cold and really choppy water but once you get a rhythm going you just forget about everything else...! I entered The Great North Swim 1mile event in Lake Windermere which was awesome, but the only problem was getting away from the main bunch of swimmers as it really disturbs your rhythm (nothing quite like a foot to the face just as your taking a breath, really helps out)!! There's different distances but a half mile is a good one to start out with.

You can easily build up your swimming strength though.....some good tips - http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips

Posted 07.11.11, 11:15am

How long did it take you to swim the 1mile event? Did you do all your swims in the summer months?

Posted 08.11.11, 8:12am

I did the mile in 16 minutes and 24 seconds which isn't too bad, was hoping to beat my PB of 15:48 but those days may well be gone Wink not to mention I went far too wide on the first turn, probably cost me about 10 seconds!!  I tend to do them mainly in the summer but not always, I did a swim for charity in September 2009 and it was about 11 degrees....massive shock to the system but you acclimatise fairly quickly, not to mention the wetsuit keeps your warm (ish).

Do you fancy doing one then?

Posted 08.11.11, 11:25am

Do you have to apply lard to your skin to keep you warm?

Posted 09.11.11, 1:19pm

I just don't think I've got the guts to swim in open water! How do you do it!?

Posted 10.11.11, 1:20pm

Traditionally swimmers used to smoother themselves in goose fat as protection from the cold but it only really provides initial respite for when you take that 'first plunge'. The cold unfortunatley is just one of the things you have to overcome, mind over matter and determination are a must!

The term 'Lard up' theses days, means to prevent chafing, an absolute nightmare! Common chafing areas are underarms, neck and around swimsuit straps and openings. It's worth pointing out at this point that wearing a wetsuit results in chafing too, so don't think you'll be happy days just in a wetsuit alone. You will find that some swimmers 'lard up' using Vaseline or a product called BodyGlide (similar to Vaseline but without the greasy residue, plus it's a roll-on stick like an anti-perspirant which means none of the mess that results from the manual application that Vaseline requires. it's also wetsuit friendly too, as the petroleum jelly in Vaseline can cause the rubber in a wetsuit to deteriorate over time).

As long as you train hard and actually train outdoors in lakes, rivers etc, instead of the pool all the time you'll find that its really enjoyable - lake and river swims are completely different to an ocean swim, you can make mental notes of distance markers in lakes and rivers such as tree's or buildings (or the occaisional 'no swimming allowed' sign!). In the ocean you can't (you rely on your boat and team to guide you). Plus your also contending with currents, waves (or swells) and chop (this is the result of lots of little waves with no apparent direction to them - imagine putting 100 kids in a swimming pool with no lane ropes or gutters, and the result is known as 'chop', it's what you often get in windy conditions). I don't even want to think about the jellyfish.......

Posted 10.11.11, 3:22pm

So not contemplating doing an ocean swim then Jack? Have you got any swims planned for next year?

Posted 11.11.11, 8:35am

Nothing planned as yet but the Great North Swim is in June so plenty of time to train. My water polo team enter an open water competition every year so I've that to look forward to in June too.

I'd love to do an ocean swim but it's so expensive, and to get insured is extremely high. It's something that I'd definitely be interested in though...

I think you guys should get involved in an open water event....?

Posted 11.11.11, 9:03am

Sounds like a plan - I think I'd plump for an Australian event, rather have the risk of lesser risk of sharks than the inevitability of the cold!

Posted 13.11.11, 1:34pm

Not sure I fancy the idea of sharks or the cold...! You're brave swimming the Mersey!

Posted 14.11.11, 2:46pm