Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

First Half Marathon

• Author
Hi guys,

Ive been getting back into fitness for the last couple of months with regular excersise and I decided I wanted to do the Reading Half Marathon (Probably a really stupid decision) so I have something to work towards and hopefully lose weight at the same time.

Has anyone done anything like this before and can give me some tips? I am scared stiff :S

My training each week is running 3 times a week (using NHS couch to 5K programme), doing 1 boxersise class and 1 gym session a week. Does anyone know if this is enough?

Thanks

Posted 18.09.12, 5:01pm

Hi jayadams,

That's great that you're getting back into fitness and it's good you have a goal to work towards! How is the training going?

It sounds like you are doing the right things, starting slowly and following a training plan and supplementing your running with other forms of exercise.

Here's a link to the articles section on here about running half marathons which may be helpful:

http://www.realbuzz.com/running-half-marathons/

Posted 19.09.12, 12:16pm

Well done! This is great that you're challenging yourself. Just take things easy -keep at it, but don't overdo it.

Posted 20.09.12, 3:30pm

Thanks for that I'll definetly have a good read of that article.

Training is going good I now need to change the hours I do it all now its getting darker at night, may have to drag myself out of bed to do my excersise before work :S The cold weathers not very encouraging though.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips you guys, some weeks are harder for me to stay motivated than others but I'll have to try and stay focused.

Posted 04.10.12, 10:17am

Yeah it can be hard to get motivated to go out when the weather's rubbish. I always find it a bit bit easier to run once I get out there though as I can't run for long in warm weather. Glad the training is going good!

Posted 05.10.12, 2:04pm

Ugh I hate running when it's hot! I can only last about 30 mins tops..

Posted 06.10.12, 5:16pm

Yeh running when you're too hot is awful, when it's bright clear and cold that's the best time to run for me!

Posted 30.12.12, 2:05pm

Quoted from jayadams24:

Hi guys,

Ive been getting back into fitness for the last couple of months with regular excersise and I decided I wanted to do the Reading Half Marathon (Probably a really stupid decision) so I have something to work towards and hopefully lose weight at the same time.

Has anyone done anything like this before and can give me some tips? I am scared stiff :S

My training each week is running 3 times a week (using NHS couch to 5K programme), doing 1 boxersise class and 1 gym session a week. Does anyone know if this is enough?

Thanks

Hey jayadams24, how is the training going? I was considering taking on a similar challenge myself. Hope you are on track and injury free!

Posted 21.01.13, 10:48am

I don;t think entering a half marathon is stupid jayadam24. It's a great thing to aim towards and will keep you motivated

Posted 22.01.13, 3:51pm

How's the training going?

Posted 24.01.13, 9:45am

I would find it so difficult to run a half marathon so good on you!

Posted 25.01.13, 4:49pm

I love running in the heat!no better feeling then seeing the bucket loads of sweat pouring of your face! when i was in portugal last summer i was running 6 miles a day in the mid day heat! everyone else was sitting in cafes and bars sitting out of the heat and i was trundling past them with me sunglasses on and iphone in my ears! great memories!

Also enjoyed running in the snow last sunday,it was the first time i had done it and in a strange way it stopped the run being so boring!

Posted 26.01.13, 1:34pm

I guess running in different conditions does make it a bit more interesting and a bit more of a challenge. However, you won't catch me running in the heat or snow!

Posted 30.01.13, 3:56pm

I couldn't think of anything worse to be honest. I admire anyone who runs in the heat!

Posted 31.01.13, 5:27pm

Personally i may be bias but Reading Half Marathon is probably one of the most exciting things i ever did, infact it motivated me enough to do it again this year and possibly enter the Oxford and Basingstoke Half Marathons later this year. The first time is an experience to remember, I wouldn't say it stupid idea :) 

Posted 13.02.13, 6:20pm