High Vis Clothing

• Author
I want to start running after work again, but now that it starts going dark about 4pm I need some decent high vis clothing/accessories. Any suggestions for what I should be wearing?

Posted 28.11.12, 2:13pm

Hi i also do a lot of evening running as i am not to much of a morning person.  There is loads of stuff out there that you can get from vests to armbands.  Myself, i prefer the arm bands, i find that the vests can be a little hot.  There is a lot of stuff out there now with LED's built in, although i am unsure how these would fair in the rain.

I spose that it al depends where you are running, obviously, if you are doing lots of road running then the more Hi Vis stuff you can wear the better.

For me i swear by the arm bands, two for your arms and two for your ankles, but its personal preference at the end of the day.  The 1000 Mile stuff is great but it can be a little expensive.  Take a look at my site, i have looked into quite alot.

Hope this helps

Posted 29.11.12, 10:08am

I've just got a load of stuff from sportsdirect and sportshoes.com

Sportsdirect for things like running tights, tops and vests, and sportshoes for a decent jacket if you havent got one at reasonable prices. If you have a load of running stuff already and just want to vis up they have a good vest which i personally dont find makes you hotter and is a cheap way of making everything hi vis.

Hope this helps

Posted 29.11.12, 2:23pm

I normally wear the arm bands too, but might try a vest and see how hot I get. I find it hard to acclimatise as it's so cold to begin with but then I start burning up really soon into my run.

Posted 30.11.12, 9:31am

Arm bands are the best bet I find, plenty bright enough and not too intrusive when you're running Smile

Posted 04.12.12, 4:32pm

Same here - on the rare occasion I attempt a jog in the dark, arm bands seem to work well. I saw someone running with a head-torch on the other night - can't imagine that's too comfy to run in!

Posted 05.12.12, 3:42pm

Na that would be naff. Maybe little ankle lights would be OK?

Posted 06.12.12, 11:47am

I think if you get an actual running head torch they are pretty secure and aren't too uncomfortable even when you're bobbing about. My friend has one and he swears by it in the winter!

Posted 07.12.12, 10:43am

When it gets to this time of year, and it is dark and icy, I have to say I can't be bothered running any more. Just get a kettlebell out & you're sorted Cool

Posted 07.12.12, 12:37pm

Speaking of the icy conditions, when I was driving yesterday I saw a runner slip on some ice, and seemingly defy gravity to stay upright and act like nothing had even happened. It was very impressive, I almost felt like stopping and congratulating him Cool Plus his high vis jacket helped me see the whole thing!

Posted 08.12.12, 10:31am

so many people do not wear any high vis clothing.  I saw a cyclist the other day not wearing anything high vis and he didn't even have any bike lights! it was really really dangerous.  I'd be wearing head to toe high vis if I was going to run/cycle in the darkness

Posted 10.12.12, 3:46pm

Just because they can see you, they think that's OK. Most cyclists and runners that I have seen wear dark clothing too, so it's even worse. So, so dangerous.

Posted 11.12.12, 9:32am

I've noticed that many cyclists are using those really bright, flashing headlights at the front of their bikes now. I find them really distracting when I'm driving and it distorts my vision, so it's hard to gauge the distance you are from the cyclist and indeed how far from the pavement they are etc.

Posted 12.12.12, 11:19am

Quoted from Mar_Low:

I've noticed that many cyclists are using those really bright, flashing headlights at the front of their bikes now. I find them really distracting when I'm driving and it distorts my vision, so it's hard to gauge the distance you are from the cyclist and indeed how far from the pavement they are etc.

It's like when an oncoming car has its main beams on! So annoying!!

Posted 21.04.13, 9:52am

The really bright flashing ones are distracting, but we use 1 steady and 1 flashing light on the front and back if we're on the roads and 1 red light on the back of our helmets that is set to flash. Not dazzlingly bright ones, but cat-eye type lights that are highly visible from a good distance. We have 2 lights incase 1 fails, but the flashing lights catch attention and the steady one allows drivers to judge the distance a bit better.

We have full-on 1000 lumen lights for the trails. They are incredibly bright, completely unsuitable for the road. Tempting to blind the ignorant effers who leave their full beams on though!

I wear high viz all year round and really like Night Vision clothing. It's not cheap, but it's worth the money.

Posted 21.04.13, 11:01am

Well, you can't put a price on safety! I'll check out Night Vision :-)

Posted 23.04.13, 11:15am

Yeah, there's no price on safety but there's plenty of cheaper high-viz out there that is just as visible. It's robust clothing though and stands up to plenty of use and abuse! My bright orange showerproof jacket is still as good as new and it's been worn/showered on a lot over the last year.

Posted 23.04.13, 7:00pm

I was introduced to adiviz today they have some good stuff!

Posted 25.04.13, 5:29pm

We will all be glowing brightly around the streets now! Haha

Posted 28.04.13, 11:29am

I like adidas sportswear. It's not too ugly, but it's still practical

Posted 30.04.13, 4:42pm