4 minutes of exercise, once a day

• Author
I heard on the radio the other day that getting 4 minutes of exercise each day is just as good for you as sweating it out at the gym for a good few hours every few days. I’m not sure if any major research has gone into this but I thought it sounded interesting. I definitely prefer to take the ‘little but often’ approach. What does everyone else think? 

Posted 16.03.13, 8:09am

I'd really like this to be true haha. Did it mention the kind of exercise you'd have to do? I imagine it would be quite intense exercise if 4 minutes was enough to keep you fit and healthy.

Posted 18.03.13, 10:06am

It's all relative. If you've spent your whole life sat at a desk, sat in your car, sat watching tele when you get home, 4 minutes of intensive exercise each day will give you and your body a real lift.

If you are a regular exerciser already, there could still be benefits depending how you go about it, and of course, what you already do. E.g. if you are a distance runner, and only ever plod at one pace, never do anything else - 4 minutes of press-ups will defiitely boost your upper body strength. An extra 4 minutes of running on the other hand wouldn't matter a jot.

Posted 18.03.13, 9:40pm

If you did 4 minutes of heavy kettlebell swings every other day, you would be better off than most people.

Posted 19.03.13, 1:52am

One section of my BLT class last night was doing 4 minutes of continuous sit ups and I definitely felt the burn - so even if you only did this each day it would make some difference.

Posted 19.03.13, 10:09am

Quoted from RS_:

If you did 4 minutes of heavy kettlebell swings every other day, you would be better off than most people.

I'm not sure I could manage even 30 seconds with kettlebells, they look pretty brutal!

Posted 27.03.13, 10:21am

i enjoy working out with kettlebells, they are quite fun to use and they give you a varied workout

Posted 31.03.13, 7:18pm

I heard this on the radio as well.  You're supposed to do 4 minutes of exercise 4 out of the 7 days a week.  I think it's 20 seconds of strenuous kettle bell lifting and then 10 seconds rests and continue for 4 minutes? Or maybe its the other way around... Either way it seems to be working for the woman on the radio, I think also one morning she was on the exercise bike so I think you can vary the exercises quite a bit.

Posted 01.04.13, 1:51pm

Wow I wouldn't have thought 4 minutes of exercise 4 times a week would do much! Are you meant to exercise on the other 3 days or just rest?

Posted 02.04.13, 10:09am

This does sound too good to be true doesn't it, although like Rob said it's all relative. If it does work then I'm sure everyone can spare 4 minutes a day, the 'no time for exercise' excuse goes out the window!

Posted 03.04.13, 9:51am

I'm enjoying my exercise DVD which is based on 10 minute blasts of exercise. It means I can fit in some exercise even if I'm pushed for time - like before work or as soon as I get home before dinner. I am definitely noticing a difference.

Posted 03.04.13, 9:51am

I can't remember to be honest with you Hannah - I just caught it on the radio when I was driving to work. I've just googled it though and it seems like an actual craze: https://www.google.com/search?q=heart+fm+4+minute+workouts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Posted 03.04.13, 5:25pm

Oh yeah there's articles about it from 2005 so it must have been around for a while! Wonder why it hasn't caught on much!

Posted 04.04.13, 10:10am

It's a bit niche - easy to overlook unless you're looking for a specific type of workout. Many people won't be looking for maximum intensity, short duration workouts. They may (or may not) be incorporating something similar into their regular exercise routine, but it probably won't be the main focus.

Posted 04.04.13, 11:10pm
Post deleted.
  • slopatient
  • Quoted from Rachel_Amy:

I'm enjoying my exercise DVD which is based on 10 minute blasts of exercise. It means I can fit in some exercise even if I'm pushed for time - like before work or as soon as I get home before dinner. I am definitely noticing a difference.

See I think I need to get some will power! I can't do exercise after work because I'm really tired, and in the mornings I already get up quite early so I don't really want to get up any earlier.  Do you think if you just did exercise at weekends you would see a difference?

Posted 08.04.13, 5:14pm

I don't think it's will power you need, have you thought about trying a 15-30 minute walk after work? It's gentle, so easier when you're tired and it takes relatively little fitness. Admittedly it's nicer when the weather is a bit warmer. Exercise shouldn't make you feel tired, it makes you feel fresh and awake - especially over time when your fitness builds up.

Weekend exercise is OK, anything is better than nothing. Ideally you need a session or 2 in the week to maintain fitness and help strengthen your muscles etc to what you're trying to do. Impact exercise like weights and running are more effective if they're done regularly. I wouldn't recommend them as something to do just once a week as you'd be at higher risk of injury.

Posted 09.04.13, 9:24am

I think exercising at weekends definitely makes a difference - any exercise is better than none. Would you have time to do some exercise at lunch in the week? Even if it's just a walk that can be good exercise.

Posted 10.04.13, 10:09am
    Post deleted.
  • slopatient
  • Quoted from HelenJacks:
    Quoted from Rachel_Amy:

See I think I need to get some will power! I can't do exercise after work because I'm really tired, and in the mornings I already get up quite early so I don't really want to get up any earlier.  Do you think if you just did exercise at weekends you would see a difference?

Any exercise is better than no exercise at all :). That's why I like the 10 minute workout DVDs too - just 10 mins a day before or after work isn't too bad. I know what you mean though. I'm always really tired in the morning and at night. 

Posted 16.04.13, 9:11am