Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

Bikram Yoga

• Author
I've heard lots of good things about Bikram yoga and I really want to try it. Apparently it's a really good toning exercise but you have to do it in a really really hot room and it gets super sweaty!

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has tried it and, if so, would you reccomend it? :) 

Posted 22.01.13, 2:11pm

It's also known as 'Hot Yoga' because of the temperature thing. It's good, the extra heat encourages you to sweat a bit, but it also keeps the muscles warm which helps them to stretch more. Take it steady, drink plenty if you need it and steady down if you feel dizzy, you may need to acclimatise to the warmth :) In my book pretty much all yoga is good, my favourites are Hatha / Vinyasa Flow though.

Posted 22.01.13, 8:27pm

Hi GoneFishin, thanks for the advice! I heard you have to really hydrate yourself a good day in advance and that if you get too hot, it's best just to sit quietly in the room because the change in temperature outside the room is a shock to the system.

What happens in Hatha and Vinyasa Flow?

Posted 23.01.13, 8:32am

Yeah, cool down in the room and drink water if you get too warm.

They are just different forms of yoga. Vinyasa flow is about movement and breath, very smooth form of yoga and quite challenging. Hatha yoga describes most forms of yoga, but typical classes are slower paced with lots of stretching. I find it relaxing but I'm quite comfortable with meditation and slower-paced exercise that isn't *just* aimed at fitness, good for overall health and wellbeing.

Kundalini yoga is the weirdest form of yoga, try doing repeated 'easy moves', that get progressively more difficult unless you have the stamina to keep up with them, then throw chanting and mantra into the mix! It's an experience!

Posted 23.01.13, 7:46pm

They have hatha yoga classes near to me which I am thinking of trying - it sounds like it would be good for relaxing.

Posted 25.01.13, 9:58am

It will be nice if it's a good class. You may be asked to bring a blanket or sleeping bag, if they do final relaxation (which you're supposed to in yoga) you get cold quite quickly at the end. Yoga is typically phased between movement and relaxation, the theory is that that you absorb/digest what you've done and it encourages peace and stillness. It can feel quite slow paced and pointless if you're going specifically for a workout.

Posted 26.01.13, 2:37pm

I found this when I did yoga for the first time - I got quite bored during the final relaxation (and chilly as I neglected to bring a blanket!).

Posted 29.01.13, 11:38am

I could never imagine doing this. Being wrapped up in a blanket on the floor in a gym!

Posted 30.01.13, 3:52pm

You need the blanket, you cool down so quickly that you catch a chill if you don't. It's quite uncomfortable.

If you can't imagine doing it, it's probably not the workout for you personally... the best exercise isn't always the one that makes you sweaty or out of breath though.

Posted 30.01.13, 6:50pm

Quoted from Rachel_Amy:

I found this when I did yoga for the first time - I got quite bored during the final relaxation (and chilly as I neglected to bring a blanket!).

Same! I get so so bored in the final bit because she says the same thing every week so a. you know it's going to go on forever and b. it's too predictable and I just can't relax at all.  Plus where I go next door is a badminton court! so all I can here is 'your point Jim' - it's so awful!

Posted 01.02.13, 8:36am

Haha, 'your point Jim'. Not quite what you wnat from a yoga class. I always find that yoga classes are always suprisingly expensive

Posted 03.02.13, 6:20pm

Not when you do them at home

Posted 03.02.13, 8:23pm

Quoted from GoneFishin:

You need the blanket, you cool down so quickly that you catch a chill if you don't. It's quite uncomfortable.

If you can't imagine doing it, it's probably not the workout for you personally... the best exercise isn't always the one that makes you sweaty or out of breath though.

I'm definitely all for exercise that doesn't make you sweaty or out of breath! I know cardio exercise is important and I do make sure I do some, but I really prefer exercises that focus on toning rather than burning fat.

Posted 06.02.13, 10:46am

I've been practicing yoga for about 12 years now and I'm completely against Bikram or any hot yoga.  It puts unnecessary strain on the heart and makes you dehydrated.  What's the point in that?  

Yoga has been practiced for thousands of years in India where the weather is hot and humid, but it's never practiced during the hottest parts of the day... it's practiced very early in the morning to avoid the heat.

I have a couple of friends who teach Bikram and they've spent over $10,000 (twice) to travel overseas to learn it... it's just another money grabbing franchise that defies to true principles of traditional yoga.  Plus they only teach 26 poses where there are over 1,000 poses in traditional yoga... all focusing on different areas of the body and different health issues.  I don't recommend Bikram yoga at all.  If anyone is serious about yoga, they should start off with a meditative Hatha yoga class till they get the breathing right and then move onto more challenging forms of yoga.  If they just want to sweat out toxins, relax in a sauna.

Posted 10.03.13, 8:23am

What are the benefits meant to be of doing yoga in the heat? I don't know much about it.

Posted 11.03.13, 2:30pm

The warmth is supposed to encourage deeper stretching!

Posted 11.03.13, 3:54pm

Yeah and it does.  But the overstretch could cause an injury that you probably wouldn't feel during the class.  If you really want to do heated yoga, a warm vinyasa yoga is better... you practice from about 30 to 32 degrees rather than a in sweaty humid room of 40 degree celcius.  It's really best to allow your muscles to warm themselves up rather than artificially warming them up and forcing them to do stretches they're not ready for.  

Ashtanga, ki and vinyasa yoga are more challenging forms of yoga where you're moving from one pose to the next, allowing you to work up a sweat naturally.  Over time you will become just as limber.  

Posted 12.03.13, 8:13am

I dabble between 3 forms of yoga, but bikram isn't one of them. I love vinyasa, challenging but super stretching.

Posted 12.03.13, 8:42am

Me too, I 'dabble' (two times a day) in 3 types... Ashtanga, Iyengar and Zen Ki - a Japanese form of yoga.  I have a marshal arts background and first got into Ki Yoga.  It's my favourite actually as it focuses on the meridian lines like TCM and changes with the seasons.... perfect for where I live where the temperatures are extreme.  I also find it more dynamic than the other types.

To go off on a tangent, on top of my screen on this forum it says realbuzz.com.au but I don't think I've seen any other Australians here.  Is this primarily a British forum?  I signed up thinking it was an Aussie forum lol.  No big deal, it's a great forum but i was just wondering why there aren't any other Aussies here.  

Posted 12.03.13, 10:33am

Super stretching sounds good but really painful - is it really painful?

Posted 14.03.13, 4:03pm