If you train for a marathon will you lose weight?

• Author
I read recentlythat out of 64 participants in a three month training programme lost only 11% in weight. 11% gained weight, and the rest remained stable. I was just wondering what you guys found. Did you lose weightwhen training for the marathon, or gain weight?

Posted 16.10.11, 12:13pm

It's comon for people training for a half marathon to lose weight, but, less common for the same thing to happen in marathoners. One theory is that with the greater training distances involved, basically the hunger gets you and the increased appetite spoils your chances of weight loss. I'm not convinced it's that straightforward though, I reckon there are several factors at work (which I'm not going into now 'cause I've a bed to go to) which distort the survey findings.

Posted 16.10.11, 11:44pm

At the beginning I tend to shed pounds up to the point when hunger kicks in and I find myself craving sugars and binging all the time which backfires on my performance as you don't run fast on an stuffed tummy!

Posted 17.10.11, 9:52am

I reckon I'd get bitten by the hunger bug if I was training. I feel like I'm peckish all the time anyway, let alone if I'm running 10s of miles each week!

Posted 17.10.11, 10:29am

like Rob Barber says, i lost lots of weight doing half marathons and then moved onto marathons and find i am either stable or put weight on.

i am hungry ALL THE TIME!Sealed

Posted 08.11.11, 1:57pm

Quoted from Motor:

like Rob Barber says, i lost lots of weight doing half marathons and then moved onto marathons and find i am either stable or put weight on.

Look - this isn't rocket science!  Training for 26.2 puts on lots of lean muscle.  Muscle weighs more the fat.  A lot more.  Forget your weight.  You weigh less in Denver than you do in Death Valley.  So What!  You want to be an energetic powerhouse and feel like you can run forever.  I got it.  I've run 20 marathons and a few ultras.    Some of the really good ultra marathoners carry a lot more weight that you would imagine.  Check you body fat percnetage.  That's the ticket to better health!  Forget about your weight!  How do you feel!  And my final opinion - If you can't reasonably finish a marathon in less than 4:45 you shouldn't run it.  Your not in good enough shape and the stress you will inevitably put on your body will be counter productive.  Okay and if you only wnat to do one marathon in your life just to say you did it than that does't matter.  Your not into it for health anyway.  Okay?

From john

Posted 08.11.11, 7:00pm

Quoted from johnPR:
Quoted from Motor:

Look - this isn't rocket science!  Training for 26.2 puts on lots of lean muscle.  Muscle weighs more the fat.  A lot more.  Forget your weight.  You weigh less in Denver than you do in Death Valley.  So What!  You want to be an energetic powerhouse and feel like you can run forever.  I got it.  I've run 20 marathons and a few ultras.    Some of the really good ultra marathoners carry a lot more weight that you would imagine.  Check you body fat percnetage.  That's the ticket to better health!  Forget about your weight!  How do you feel!  And my final opinion - If you can't reasonably finish a marathon in less than 4:45 you shouldn't run it.  Your not in good enough shape and the stress you will inevitably put on your body will be counter productive.  Okay and if you only wnat to do one marathon in your life just to say you did it than that does't matter.  Your not into it for health anyway.  Okay?

From john

erm, okay.  not sure why all that was aimed at me but hope you feel better for getting that off your chest.

Posted 10.11.11, 9:03pm

+1 for johnPR's response - I am hungry all the tiem too.....

Posted 11.11.11, 10:59am

Quoted from Motor:
Quoted from johnPR:
Quoted from Motor:

From john

erm, okay.  not sure why all that was aimed at me but hope you feel better for getting that off your chest.

lol!

Posted 11.11.11, 11:18pm