Eczema flare up after running

• Author
Whenever I go for a long run I come back and notice my eczema has flared up and is really inflamed and itchy. I wonder if it's the sweat? Does anyone else get skin reactions after exercise?

Posted 28.11.12, 2:15pm

Hi Rachel yes I get horrible itching sometimes on my legs and hands and arms.  No idea why going to do some googling

Posted 28.11.12, 2:33pm

Seems the more you run the easier it will get - 

"Itchy skin usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it's inside the actual limbs. There are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but when unfit and inactive they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. That's why after a few sessions the sensation tends to go away. Just another indication of increasing fitness levels." http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/c/question/54379/45782

Posted 28.11.12, 2:39pm

That's really interesting. Thanks David! I shall try to do more exercise then, so my eczema bahaves itself!

Posted 29.11.12, 11:57am

I always get a blotchy rash over my chest and neck after exercise. Makes no difference if I'm superfit or super unfit, it just happens! It can itch like mad though. Cool shower helps. I think it's a sort of heat rash, but I have really sensitive skin anyway.

Posted 29.11.12, 3:24pm

I get that too. But I am also the type of person who blushes really easily too and I get heat rash when I'm in a busy shop and things like that.

Posted 30.11.12, 9:33am

I get this too! I thought it was just me being a bit strange. I'm glad there's a reasonable explanation behind it. Thanks!  x x

Posted 01.12.12, 2:49am

Aw, haha 'just you being a bit strange'! Kiss The thing is, whenever you think you're the only one with an unusual ailment, there's always someone else with the same thing

Posted 03.12.12, 1:52pm

This is so true. I have quite a few things like that, but as soon as I talk to my friends about it I realise I'm not the only one and it makes me feel so much better

Posted 04.12.12, 10:44am

That's the way with most things isn't it! You feel like the odd one out, but it turns out lots of people are in the same position

Posted 05.12.12, 5:24pm

It's very unlikely that you'll be the only one with a certain illness or condition. Humans aren't that tailor made Wink

Posted 06.12.12, 11:51am

And it means you can get tips off others with the same problems

Posted 10.12.12, 10:24am

For me it was always hayfever I struggled with. Now, from speaking to lots of friends and going on forums etc. I have found lots of different, helpful ways to overcome it.

Posted 12.12.12, 11:26am