new to it all

• Author
i am new to realbuzz and to running. i signed up for a 5k run in late july and today was my first day of the c25k program. i am glad i finished it but could use some advice on what to do on days i'm not doing the program. is it okay to walk or ride bikes? i use to run 20 some years ago but things have changed. any advice would help, thank you

Posted 07.05.12, 6:21pm

Hi Gottamove and welcome! Sorry, not familiar with the c25k programme - can you give us some info or a link or something?

Whatever you're doing though, just take care not to overdo it or you'll end up with an injury!

Posted 11.05.12, 9:36pm

New to here too , hiya. Finding all posts interesting for tips etc. I'm getting there on training and mixing up running with spinning, circuits and swimming to help get that marathon stamina. 

Would be interested in a link for the 25k programme too if u have one, have heard a few chatting about it and would like to show my sis TIA x

Posted 12.05.12, 9:25pm

Hi Tamzyn, sounds like you've got a real good mix of training going on there, you'll be showing us all the way forward if you keep going like that, good on you Cool.

I'm guessing its the couch to 5k plan you're looking for? http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Good luck to you both Smile.

Posted 12.05.12, 10:24pm

Quoted from tamzynharris:

New to here too , hiya. Finding all posts interesting for tips etc. I'm getting there on training and mixing up running with spinning, circuits and swimming to help get that marathon stamina. 

Would be interested in a link for the 25k programme too if u have one, have heard a few chatting about it and would like to show my sis TIA x

Hello, welcome to realbuzz! The posts on here are really good for tips - if you have any questions or anything, everyone's so helpful. Sounds like you're doing so well with your training. Xx

Posted 13.05.12, 10:30am

Ah thanks for the link , me and sis live quite far apart so think she will find it usefull for her to start a fitness/jogging programme.

I am certainly enjoying the training, always been into fitness but never ran until having my last bairn, but never looked back. Im married to a soldier too so got quite good access and use of gyms and their help. I am noticing I have to look at my diet a bit more now distance is totting up on the distance runs.

Posted 13.05.12, 7:37pm

i went under google search and put in couch to 5k, and the program came up.  i hope this helps you find it. i also sgot the program for my smartphone and it tells you when to run and when to walk. i love it.

Posted 14.05.12, 12:20am

Hi Tamzyn and welcome to RB.

Thanks for that gottamove. How is the training going?

Posted 14.05.12, 10:08pm

im doing okay, i did the c25k on the treadmill today, didnt really like it so i hope the weather is better wednesday so i can run outside. thanks for asking.

Posted 14.05.12, 10:16pm

Yeah if the weather isn't great it can be hard to go out for a run.

Have you got some good outdoor runs where you are?

Posted 15.05.12, 10:28am

yes, it has been beautiful. i live in ohio and i try to run in the mornings and thank god it has been great. have you been running long? Im only on week 2.

Posted 15.05.12, 2:46pm

A few years now. I'm actually just starting back after a break of about a year; I had to take some time off.

I quite liked Cleveland! The R&R hall of fame was fantastic. But that's about the extent of my Ohio-esque experience.

Posted 15.05.12, 3:17pm

I am a huge Cleveland Browns fan. I used to run 7 miles a day 24 years ago. but i got married had kids and forgot all about myself. now the kids are grown and time for me.I

Posted 15.05.12, 3:50pm

Good for you! Great news. Yeah, life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes . . .

Posted 18.05.12, 9:16am

Quoted from Gottamove:

i am new to realbuzz and to running. i signed up for a 5k run in late july and today was my first day of the c25k program. i am glad i finished it but could use some advice on what to do on days i'm not doing the program. is it okay to walk or ride bikes? i use to run 20 some years ago but things have changed. any advice would help, thank you

Me too. I just started running this year and I've done a couple of 5ks its been good so far and i'm lovin my new found fitness however, my enthusiasm for running is starting to wane. Not sure I'm a natural. How does everyone stay intersted and keep everythin fresh?

Posted 20.05.12, 12:32pm

Im not sure if I can help you with that, this is only week 3 for me. but I am going to try trail running and even the steps at the park to keep things fresh for me. I just wish I could find a running buddy, see I live out in the country about 30 miles from town and so I run alone.

Posted 20.05.12, 4:12pm

Karla, there are loads of tricks to help keep your interest, these are the ones I swear by:

1. Variety - I very rarely run the same route twice, I run at different times of day, I run mostly off road, and I run with different intentions (eg one day I try to run fast, next I'll deliberately include walk breaks, next I'll push hard up a hill...), I try different races, go out in different weather conditions, wear different shoes, wear a watch, don't wear a watch, try different races, run different distances, do other exercise too, don't let it be monotonous.

2. (see 1 above) Tongue outSmile

Posted 20.05.12, 11:29pm

That's a fab tip Rob. Particularly like tip 2 :p

Posted 21.05.12, 8:53am

Us beginners will take all the tips we can. thank you.

Posted 21.05.12, 6:15pm