Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

Matcha green tea

• Author
Has anyone ever tried matcha green tea? It's meant to have up to 137 times the antioxidants of normal green tea! I'm not a big fan of hot drinks but am thinking of trying it as it's supposed to be so good for you!

Posted 29.03.13, 10:42am

I've never heard of it, although admittedly I haven't been looking for it either. I wonder if it tastes like green tea - I'm a hardcore tea drinker (as in I like most fruit and herbal tea) but I can't stomach green tea.

Posted 29.03.13, 11:28am

Out of all the herbal teas I find green tea the worst to drink. It's quite bitter, but a teaspoon of honey can take the edge off of it and make for a nice drink

Posted 31.03.13, 9:15am

I used to hate green tea.  But since actually reading the back of the packet it says to only let it stew for 2 minutes otherwise it takes the delicate taste away and then it starts to taste really bitter.  So maybe you could try that?  I really like the green tea with pineapple and grapefruit :)

Posted 01.04.13, 1:48pm

I've tried it strong and weak - even dipped for a few seconds it tastes awful. I'm not someone who can sweeten teas either, I taste the tea seperately to the sweet stuff. Makes it twice as foul Undecided There are plenty of nice teas out there, all with different benefits, I drink those instead.

Posted 01.04.13, 4:12pm

Quoted from GoneFishin:

I've never heard of it, although admittedly I haven't been looking for it either. I wonder if it tastes like green tea - I'm a hardcore tea drinker (as in I like most fruit and herbal tea) but I can't stomach green tea.

It's supposed to taste less bitter than normal green tea and have more of a sweet taste to it. You can use it to make lattes or smoothies as well as tea if you don't like the taste of the tea. Think I would use it in smoothies.

Posted 02.04.13, 10:06am

I haven't heard of this either, I'll have to try it can you just get it in supermarkets?

Posted 03.04.13, 2:17pm

You might be able to get it in supermarkets but I haven't seen it. I saw it at the Vitality show so had a look for it online, but I have seen it in Holland & Barrett too.

Posted 04.04.13, 10:00am

If it tastes awful I'd just rather stick to normal green tea even if I didn't get as many benefits from it. 

Posted 05.04.13, 1:36pm

What does it taste like? I didn't like the taste of green tea at first, but now I really enjoy it - so it'd be good to try the one with more benefits.

Posted 06.04.13, 10:05am

I think I'll keep an eye out for a sample, not planning on buying a full box though!

Posted 06.04.13, 4:05pm

Quoted from Carly_A:

What does it taste like? I didn't like the taste of green tea at first, but now I really enjoy it - so it'd be good to try the one with more benefits.

I'm not sure but it's higher quality and purer than most normal green tea so is supposed to taste nicer. I'm going to try it soon so will let you know what it tastes like.

Posted 08.04.13, 10:54am

Excellent Smile I'll keep an eye for some too!

Posted 13.04.13, 5:26pm

I just ordered some online. I read that you can use it in ice cream, so might try making this. I like the sound of ice cream that's packed with antioxidants!

Posted 15.04.13, 11:12am

That's a good idea! Was it expensive?

Posted 16.04.13, 10:50am

Then again, sometimes when you want 'bad' food, you want it to just be totally naughty! The only benefit being that it's good for the soul Wink

Posted 17.04.13, 9:24am

I feel too guilty when I eat 'bad' food that has no health benefits at all. I love eating 'treat' foods that also have some benefits, like dark chocolate brownies.

Posted 18.04.13, 10:16am

Usually you can find some benefit in most foods though... e.g. Ice cream = calcium?!

Posted 19.04.13, 11:43am

Percy Pigs: protein?! Haha

Posted 20.04.13, 9:12am

Haha not sure about that one Rachel_Amy Smile Yeah most things do have some benefits (like chocolate and ice cream), although some foods don't, like crisps and jelly sweets.

Posted 23.04.13, 3:16pm