What's your fave healthy snack?

• Author
So when you're on a healthy diet and you've cut out the chocolate bars, crisps, sweets, (insert every other fatty, tasty food you love), what do you turn to next as a little treat? I like mangos :)

Posted 17.04.12, 3:12pm

I like to eat Fruits as my favorite snack. They are healthy and contains lot of Vitamins and other vital nutrients.

Posted 03.08.12, 1:54pm

I've started eating Letil Soup for Breakfast, I picked up a few simple (but delicious) Indian recipes online and find that with some German style Rye bread I have a lot of energy throughout the day. The soup also digest well I hasten to add!

In the evenings I've decided to take advantage of living in london and try to order in exotic dishes from India or Japan. If I discover a new type of Sushi dish that I mreally like then I try my best to pick up a good recipe for it online so that I can buy the ingredients myself from Asian supermarkets and attempt my own Sushi rolls. - This certainly reduces the strain on my wallet! I try to maintain my level of adventure (food wise ;) when I'm travelling around the UK and will eat out at healthy restaurants in Edinburgh or elsewhere in order to widen my food knowledge and culinary skills...

Posted 24.08.12, 10:34am

Not really a snack but love coconut water at the moment - great for after an exercise class or if I need a little lift. Paprika rice cakes, flavoured popcorn or kwark and cherries are my other favourites.Wink

Posted 27.08.12, 2:55pm

I've heard a lot of people talk about coconut water recently.  I imagine it to be quite watery, if you know what I mean?  Does it have much flavour?

Posted 28.09.12, 3:46pm

I've heard lots of people talk about it too but I've never tried it. They sell it in Holland and Barrett and I'm always tempted to buy some...

Posted 29.09.12, 9:09am

Paprika rice cakes sound gorgeous.Thanks Kirstie. *adds paprika rice cakes to shopping list* 

Posted 30.09.12, 1:17am

Ick, rice cakes and popcorn.

Coconut water is better when it's fresh from the actual coconut, the stuff sold in health shops isn't the same. I like it straight from the coconut, it's refreshing. You carefully carve the eye with a sharp object, or screwdriver, and drink it through a straw... then once the waters gone, bash it with a hammer to crack it and lever out the coconut flesh. Very good after exercise.

I only tend to buy coconuts from the fair. There's something good about a coconut from a fair. Don't ask me why, It's not logical! haha

Posted 30.09.12, 10:02pm

Haha I don't think I've had a coconut from a fair, sounds like something I should try Smile I've never had fresh coconut water but I love the stuff from Holland and Barrett - particularly the pineapple flavoured one.

Posted 01.10.12, 10:52am

It's probably because the only time we got coconuts as a kid was when we got taken to the fair. We'd always come back with a stuffed toy, eating mushy peas with mint sauce and carrying a coconut. Me and my Sister used to fight over the coconut water :) or 'coconut milk' as we then used to call it. Actually, that coconut used to be the cause of family arguments... mostly when Dad couldn't get into it. He'd lose his temper, we'd be sulking because we wanted to open it and Mum would look on in horror/amusement before hunting out the drill or a suitable screwdriver to shut us all up. Happy days!

Cartons just don't hold the same excitement ;)

Posted 01.10.12, 3:44pm

The only time I tried coconut when I was younger was from a fair too - it was great winning one, although I don't think any of us liked the taste of it - not a fan of the cartons either - ich! I like coconut when it's in the form of Malibu! Laughing

Posted 16.10.12, 9:54am

Do you like Bounties?

Posted 17.10.12, 9:22am

I'm on the fence over coconut water ... it sounds amazing in theory but I found the taste to be quite strange. I love the fresh coconut peices you can buy at Waitrose .. yummy!

Posted 17.10.12, 4:25pm

coconut water is a bit too waterery for me, not much taste and a bit bland - I think I'll stick to normal water! haha

Posted 18.10.12, 10:06am

Quoted from GoneFishin:

It's probably because the only time we got coconuts as a kid was when we got taken to the fair. We'd always come back with a stuffed toy, eating mushy peas with mint sauce and carrying a coconut. Me and my Sister used to fight over the coconut water :) or 'coconut milk' as we then used to call it. Actually, that coconut used to be the cause of family arguments... mostly when Dad couldn't get into it. He'd lose his temper, we'd be sulking because we wanted to open it and Mum would look on in horror/amusement before hunting out the drill or a suitable screwdriver to shut us all up. Happy days!

Cartons just don't hold the same excitement ;)

Haha things are always better when there's fun memories attached! Guess cartons can't live up to that Smile

Posted 19.10.12, 9:35am

Quoted from Rachel_Amy:

Do you like Bounties?

Not really.

Posted 20.10.12, 5:26pm

This week I've got Ryvita, quark (almost fat free soft cheese) and Marmite. Two Ryvita's squashed together with that as a filling - less than 100 calories. 

Posted 20.11.12, 10:53am

I remember trying Ryvita once. The packet was tastier than the contents Money Mouth

Posted 20.11.12, 12:16pm

I'm not a big fan of Ryvita but I keep trying them in the hope I'll start to love them as they're so low in calories!

Posted 21.11.12, 9:28am

I gave up on Ryvitas ages ago, I only like them with garlic & herb cheese spread and salmon (and a drink on the side!). They're so dry and tasteless and they give me indigestion! There are plenty of snacks under 100 cal that taste better.

I went through a phase of cereal bars, oat cakes, rice cakes etc to try and find something 'low calorie but filling' and gave it up as a lost cause. They just don't agree with me. Nakd bars are OK and my favourite unhealthy 'processed' snack is a bar of chocolate or some salt and vinegar crisps, these weaknesses aside I try and keep my diet as unprocessed as possible. Works well for me.

Posted 21.11.12, 1:41pm