Granola

• Author
I made my own granola at the weekend and it made me question whether something I always thought was nutritious actually is. It contains a lot of sugar I suppose, with the maple syrup and dried fruit, but is it actually still quite nutritious?

Posted 04.02.13, 4:24pm

I've always thought it's funny with granola as it's perceived as this health food, but it's often just as high in fat and sugar as most treat foods like chocolate or biscuits. It does contain a lot of fibre and nutrients, however you could get the same nutrients without the sugar with a bowl of muesli or porridge with some dried fruit and seeds. Some brands of granola are healthier than others though, and you can get recipes for healthier options. 

I've never made granola before. What was it like? Is it easy to make?

Posted 05.02.13, 10:39am

I really like granola, but it's full of sugar, fat and syrup. I use it in small amounts (like 1/2 or less of the recommended serving) as a topping if I eat fruit and yogurt. I mostly love the texture and how it holds its crunch.

At least with home-made granola you can control some of the sugar and fat content. It's very easy to make and keeps for ages in an airtight container. Enjoy it, but in moderation. If you don't make granola properly you may as well just eat muesli or porridge, so enjoy it for what it is and just accept there are healthier (but not necessarily tastier!) options you can pick the rest of the time :)

Posted 05.02.13, 7:21pm

A brand called Bear nibbles used to make granola nibbles which came in a little sachet and were really healthy and low in calories and sugar. They came in different flavours like chocolate, tropical and apple and were good for toppings and snacks, but I can't seem to find them anymore! Frown Used to love them as a little afternoon snack.

Posted 06.02.13, 10:43am

I've always thought granola was super healthy! I'll have to start making my own...

Posted 07.02.13, 2:54pm

I've never liked granola, I find it really boring and tasteless even with fruit in.  I don't think I'll ever be a granola girl! haha

Posted 08.02.13, 9:19am

Quoted from hannah_mc:

A brand called Bear nibbles used to make granola nibbles which came in a little sachet and were really healthy and low in calories and sugar. They came in different flavours like chocolate, tropical and apple and were good for toppings and snacks, but I can't seem to find them anymore! Frown Used to love them as a little afternoon snack.

I think I used to get them from Holland and Barrett - that's a shame that they're not there anymore!

Posted 13.02.13, 9:33am

Well, they appear to be stocked in a wide range of stores http://www.bearnibbles.co.uk/stockists/ so I would say a lack of popularity got them taken off the shelves. If I want anything specific I tend to buy online, if I buy Nakd bars I try to buy in bulk because it's cheaper!!

Posted 13.02.13, 10:18pm

Looks they are improving the recipe or something for the granola as the website says "new nibbles coming soon". It makes sense to buy in bulk, but I never like spending that much money at once on snacks. Even though it works out cheaper it never feels as much when I'm spending like £1 at a time.

Posted 14.02.13, 9:53am

Yeah, £1 isn't much but it does add up over time. You don't notice until you total it up and think 'errm'. I'm partial to a starbucks if I meet up with a friend, who often brings her daughter. Sometimes I'll buy everything, if I paid for our drinks/nibbles each time I'd be spending around £120 a year on starbucks! That's not counting the odd one if myself and hubby are in town and fancy a coffee. I dread to think how much I'd be paying out if I were a 1-expensive-coffee-a-day person!!

Posted 14.02.13, 10:46am

Yeah I bet a lot of people spend some much on things like coffees and other drinks without really realising it. I'll often buy a drink or a snack and not think about it, but it really adds up when you add it all together.

Posted 15.02.13, 10:04am

It's so true - I bet if you started writing it down every time, all the little bits would come to a crazy amount by the end of the year!

Posted 16.02.13, 2:09pm

Drinks are the worst. If you're trying to save money it can help to figure out how much you earn every hour, then when you look at the cost of a drink that's almost half your hourly rate it can help you to resist! Bit of a scooge thing to do though

Posted 18.02.13, 2:37pm

That's a good way to save money - thinking of a drink as costing me half an hour of work would definitely put me off! 

Posted 19.02.13, 11:19am

It can be a real eye-opener when you tot up the annual amount you spend on things such as your morning coffee or shop-bought sandwiches every lunchtime at work. But I always think that if that's your one little vice and you really value it, then it's money well spent. However, this certainly does not apply to cigarettes, for those smokers out there!! Yell

Posted 20.02.13, 9:39am

My guilty pleasure when it comes to daily spending is magazines. I buy on average 2 per week.  I do read them all cover to cover though! It makes commuting so much better, even though it costs me £200 a year!

Posted 21.02.13, 2:09pm

The best thing to do if you read a lot of magazines is to create a magazine fund with friends, all chip in £5.00  pounds a month, buy a ruck of them and then swap and change between yourselves all month... lots of reading little cost :)

Posted 21.02.13, 4:34pm

That's a good idea! I love reading magazines but it does add up. I like the idea of a magazine fund.

Posted 22.02.13, 10:59am

You can take the drink before a workout, or after a workout. But do not consume right before the workout. If your intention is to consume the protein shake before the workout, then make sure you do it 2 hours before you start exercising. That will allow ample time for the body to digest and absorb the protein. Alternatively, you can consume the shake right after the workout, preferably within the hour for best results.

Posted 06.03.13, 10:58am

Quoted from JennaRoo:

The best thing to do if you read a lot of magazines is to create a magazine fund with friends, all chip in £5.00  pounds a month, buy a ruck of them and then swap and change between yourselves all month... lots of reading little cost :)

That is a really good idea. I need to start keeping track of where my money goes as I never seem to have any! Food, petrol, bills etc just eat up so much dosh! Savvy ideas like this go a long way. 

Posted 10.04.13, 11:59am