Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

Soups - healthy

• Author
Wondered if anyone could suggest any helathy soups they have found, I woudl like to make my own but tend to be going for cans which I know are not good for salt and sugars. Any suggestions?

Posted 05.01.13, 6:06pm

I quite like vegetarian soups, but general 'every veg in the fridge with chicken' soup usually works.

Red pepper and tomato - roast lots of decent tomatoes, a few red peppers, a white onion and a few cloves of garlic (about 30 mins). Blend with stock. Sieve and serve (smooth soup).

Butternut squash and sweet potato - Roast 1 squash and a couple of sweet potatoes with an onion and a few cloves of garlic (about 45 mins). Add to stock in a pan and blend until smooth.

Minestrone - Boil up a mix of veg, like a tin of chopped tomatoes, pasata, chopped celery, carrots, onion, leeks, a tin of beans (like borlotti or butterbeans) and a few handfuls of dried pasta. You can use regular spagetti chopped up, or the likes of ASDA do mini wholegrain shells for kids, they would work well. Fry the onion off until soft, then boil everything together in stock until tender. Blend sparingly so it stays thick and chunky.

I like mexican bean and tomato & basil soup too. I don't do tomato soup very often, the tomatoes need to be REALLY good to make tasty soup and it's best to make them when tomatoes are seasonal.

Posted 05.01.13, 10:51pm

I eat Vegetable SOup whenever I wanna have something  Healthy. It's pretty simple. Boiling the vegetables for around 20-30 mins in water, and then adding various spices. It is really good for health.

Posted 11.01.13, 1:09pm

Quoted from GoneFishin:

I quite like vegetarian soups, but general 'every veg in the fridge with chicken' soup usually works.

Red pepper and tomato - roast lots of decent tomatoes, a few red peppers, a white onion and a few cloves of garlic (about 30 mins). Blend with stock. Sieve and serve (smooth soup).

Butternut squash and sweet potato - Roast 1 squash and a couple of sweet potatoes with an onion and a few cloves of garlic (about 45 mins). Add to stock in a pan and blend until smooth.

Minestrone - Boil up a mix of veg, like a tin of chopped tomatoes, pasata, chopped celery, carrots, onion, leeks, a tin of beans (like borlotti or butterbeans) and a few handfuls of dried pasta. You can use regular spagetti chopped up, or the likes of ASDA do mini wholegrain shells for kids, they would work well. Fry the onion off until soft, then boil everything together in stock until tender. Blend sparingly so it stays thick and chunky.

I like mexican bean and tomato & basil soup too. I don't do tomato soup very often, the tomatoes need to be REALLY good to make tasty soup and it's best to make them when tomatoes are seasonal.

They sound lovely GoneFishin! I've never tried to make soup before, but we've just got a new blender so will have to give it a go!

Posted 12.01.13, 9:34am

I use a stick blender, be careful if you use a jug and only blend about 1/4 of a jug at a time and wait until it's cooled a bit. The lid cannot contain the resulting blast of hot soup that will go everywhere if you over fill it!! I have a scar from one of these incidents, the kitchen work surface also looked like a bloody battle scene Embarassed you live and learn, haha.

Posted 12.01.13, 9:50am

Ooh no - sounds like something I'd do, so I'm glad you said it. I made corn chowder last week (completely forgot), but you only had to blend a little bit of that so all was well in the kitchen Smile

Posted 13.01.13, 8:47am

I've never had corn chowder. It's meant to be more of a 'meal soup' isn't it? A bit chunkier?

Posted 15.01.13, 9:46am

The word chowder makes me feel a bit ill!

Posted 16.01.13, 12:11pm

Well I experienced vegetables soups, they are great in taste and full of nutrtion. they are not pass through any chemical process, so they have many useful nutrition in them. It is best of diet for health.

Posted 17.01.13, 7:14am

Quoted from Mar_Low:

I've never had corn chowder. It's meant to be more of a 'meal soup' isn't it? A bit chunkier?

Yeah I guess it is - it's just a creamy sweetcorn soup - I really like it.

Posted 17.01.13, 9:21am

In my world all soup is 'meal soup'. If it's thin I just have more of it.

I'm making a chunky minestrone one at the moment, hoping it tastes good when it's done because I literally threw everything together in unchecked quantities!!

Posted 18.01.13, 1:29pm

Even if I had double the quantity of a thin soup I'd still be hungry. I need mine to be chunky with rice or pasta in them.

Posted 21.01.13, 10:27am

Quoted from GoneFishin:

These sound great, and cheap and easy too! What do you put in the mexican bean, tomato and basil soup (other than beans, tomatoes and basil obviously haha)?

Posted 22.01.13, 9:32am

They are mostly cheap, tomato & pepper can get expensive unless you grow your own or use a veg market. It works out around £5 per portion or something ridiculous if you have to buy peppers and tomatoes in the bulk needed at a supermarket. It's a very thin soup, you need lots to make a decent portion.

Mexican bean and Tomato & Basil are 2 seperate soups

Mexican bean - carton of pasata or tinned tomatoes, 2 stock cubes or stock pots, about 1/2 tray of decent roasted tomatoes if in season (sieve before adding to get rid of seeds), red kidney beans or a tin of mixed beans, 1 large white onion fried with a bit of garlic first until soft, a double handful of rice. I think white works best, but brown is OK. A hot chilli or 2 and/or some spicy chilli powder - to taste, I like it spicy. I like it veggie but you can add a bit of mince. I add enough hot water to loosen it, but keep it thick and chunky.

Tomato and basil - Roast LOADS of ripe tomatoes with a couple of small white onions and a few cloves of garlic (use a bit of oil, i use olive oil), Sieve to get rid of the skin and seeds. Roughly chop the onion and add a tin of chopped tomatoes to the mix. Couple of stock cubes or pots and a good handful of fresh basil. Add water to the right consistency and blend until smooth, or leave a bit chunky.  You can use a sprinkle of dried basil instead.

I like using onion and garlic, you can omit it but you have to get the flavour from somewhere. I never use extra salt if I use stock cubes, I sometimes use pepper. If you can be bothered to make stock, use that instead of cubes.

Posted 22.01.13, 1:36pm

Thanks for the recipes Smile I'm going to try the mexican bean one, sounds lovely!

Posted 23.01.13, 10:33am

Just to add, there's at least 4 generous portions of soup from that recipe, use less unless you like a few days worth at a time! If you keep it in an airtight container it's OK for at least 5 days. I'm not sure how well it freezes, I hate freezing soup!

Posted 23.01.13, 10:48am

These soup recipes look lovely! And it's so nice knowing there's no nasties in them, like loads of salt and preservatives.

Posted 23.01.13, 11:43am

The worst bit really is the stock cubes. You can improve that by removing the stock cubes and using home-made stock and bouquet garnis for flavour. I find a stock pot adds a flavour without fuss though and the salt content is still much lower than if you buy tins or cartons.

Posted 23.01.13, 7:30pm

They sound lovely GoneFishin!

Posted 24.01.13, 8:49am

Quoted from GoneFishin:

The worst bit really is the stock cubes. You can improve that by removing the stock cubes and using home-made stock and bouquet garnis for flavour. I find a stock pot adds a flavour without fuss though and the salt content is still much lower than if you buy tins or cartons.

I use reduced salt bouillon powder as it is healthier than most stock cubes and has no added sugar. Not quite as healthy as making your own stock but still a good substitue.

Posted 25.01.13, 9:53am