Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

Shine

• Author
Has anyone ever taken part in the Shine, night-time walk marathon?

Posted 15.10.12, 4:35pm

I've never heard of this, where is it? I like the sound of a marathon you walk!

Posted 16.10.12, 11:17am

Haha I know! that's why it caught my eye.  I think it takes place in Manchester every September.  It doesn't sound too strenuous and i think a night time walk sounds lovely and peaceful! haha

Posted 16.10.12, 1:43pm

Ooh no I hadn't heard of that. Just googled it though and it looks fab!

The link is here if anyone's interested: http://shine.cancerresearchuk.org/

Posted 17.10.12, 1:09pm

My friend Emma has just done it, she loved it!!!

Posted 17.10.12, 4:20pm

Yeah a few of my friends have done it, i might join them next time - it sounds sooo much more appealing than running the marathon...

Posted 18.10.12, 9:56am

This sounds great - how long does it usually take to walk a marathon?

Posted 19.10.12, 11:41am

I'm not sure .. but I will ask!

Posted 19.10.12, 3:18pm

Thanks for the link LauraRTaylor! I'm definitely interested in doing one of these. I'd like to do something to raise money for charity but I know I could never run a marathon so this sounds ideal!

Posted 22.10.12, 2:53pm

It sounds different doesn't it! I don't know if I'll stay awake through it though

Posted 23.10.12, 9:04am

I'm sure you would because it would be a great atmosphere and you'd be buzzing!

Posted 24.10.12, 10:35am

Quoted from hannah_mc:

Thanks for the link LauraRTaylor! I'm definitely interested in doing one of these. I'd like to do something to raise money for charity but I know I could never run a marathon so this sounds ideal!

No problem! Let us know if you end up doing it. I'm tempted!

Posted 25.10.12, 8:57am

Quoted from HelenJacks:

It sounds different doesn't it! I don't know if I'll stay awake through it though

Haha it would probably be difficult to fall asleep while you were actually walking Smile

Posted 26.10.12, 10:09am

I did Shine this year. It's a great atmosphere and you are supported every step of the way. The only downside is at mile 22 I got told off for jogging - if you can even call it that as I was going at about a 20 min mile pace -even though jogging helped your aching legs.

But if you are thinking about it do it its a great feeling when you finish!

Posted 09.11.12, 3:59pm

I'd love to be able to complete the marathon - but running it I don't think woudl be possible for me - maybe after a new knee.

Posted 18.11.12, 6:07pm

Quoted from lucyclarke86:

I did Shine this year. It's a great atmosphere and you are supported every step of the way. The only downside is at mile 22 I got told off for jogging - if you can even call it that as I was going at about a 20 min mile pace -even though jogging helped your aching legs.

I wouldn't have thought you would actually be told off for going any faster than a walk, that's mad! Glad you enjoyed it though! I'm definitely thinking seriously about doing it now.

Posted 19.11.12, 11:54am

haha yeah that is mad! As if you were told off, although I would be able to run i don't think so there's no danger of me being told off! haha

Posted 20.11.12, 10:48am

Haha me neither, especially at that stage of the race I don't think I'd be able to go any faster than a walk!

Posted 21.11.12, 9:20am

Quoted from lucyclarke86:

Thanks for this info Lucy - I really want to try it! How do you mean when you say you're supported every step of the way? Do you mean by your friends and family or the actual race organisers? This sounds great for me because I'm rubbish at running :(

Posted 22.11.12, 4:20pm

I'd probably forget it's walking only, then get overexcited and break out into a jog... awkward

Posted 23.11.12, 3:40pm