Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

How's everyone's training going?

• Author
Hi, long time since posting. Just finished 2012 season with a half-marathon PB at Run-to-the-beat. My 19 year old daughter ran her first half marathon with me and clocked a time of 1:57:11 and I came in at 2:06:13 . Now focussing on London training.  It is good to be clocking 12-14 runs already so feeling fit and no injuries this year.

How is everyone else doing running in this wind and rain?

Alan Smile

Posted 25.11.12, 7:32am

hello

Well done on your PB. I will forever bear the lovely scar on my nose from when I fell over at the end of my last half marathon while sprinting for a PB of 20 odd seconds. Still think it was worth it. I'm just doing a few treadmill runs a week at the moment getting ready for the Berlin half marathon training after Christmas. I'll see how that goes before deciding whether or not to run the full marathon later on. I don't think I can be bothered to do full marathon training for another year or 2 but we'll see.

Posted 25.11.12, 10:54am

Quoted from adorling:

Hi, long time since posting. Just finished 2012 season with a half-marathon PB at Run-to-the-beat. My 19 year old daughter ran her first half marathon with me and clocked a time of 1:57:11 and I came in at 2:06:13 . Now focussing on London training.  It is good to be clocking 12-14 runs already so feeling fit and no injuries this year.

How is everyone else doing running in this wind and rain?

Alan Smile

Hi Adorling - lucky you to be able to get your 19 year old dtr out....mine just laughs in my face when I suggest she goes out with me !

I am constantly training as am working towards doing 50 marathons by April 2014.....I have entered Comrades Ultra next year so Jan 1st will see me getting on with a massive training plan for that. Am going well out of my comfort zone with this one but that's what it is all about I think....I am a lazy cow at heart so need to have stuff to keep me going. Undecided

Good luck with your London training and am sure the wind and rain is just adding an extra element of excitement.......as my dad says, nothing like bad weather, only bad clothing !!  Surprised

Posted 26.11.12, 9:49am

Hi Alan,

I think I'm at a similar point in my training to you.  I'm currently running 2 x 4m, 1 x 7m [mid-week run] and then a long slow run of between 10-13m.  I'm also trying to get in 1-2 weight/resistance sessions and a couple of Yoga classes a week, so that I minimise the risk of getting injured.  I won't be running much more than this until after 17th Dec, but I will be trying to add in a 3m Saturday run this week and then gradually increasing that to 5m.

Jo

Posted 26.11.12, 1:40pm

Jo

So you are doing 4 runnings essions a week, adding afifth this week plus 4 other non running sessions? Thats quite a lot :-) and rather than minimising risk of injury may be increasing it as you may not be giving your body a chance to recover.

Keith

Posted 26.11.12, 3:54pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your concern :), but I've been doing 2 weights sessions & 3-4 cardio sessions [a mixture of running on a treadmill & time on a cross-trainer] since September last year and then moved to running outside in early May.  So while I apprieciate it's a lot of training, it is something I'm used to.  However I do listen to my body and rest when I need to, rather than just following my schedule. 

Re: adding a 5th run per week in - I'm going to give it a go, but if it doesn't work for me [and I suspect I'll find out in a couple of weeks time] I won't continue to do it.

Posted 26.11.12, 8:56pm

Good to hear from you Nunuzela - my word you don't do things by half with those targets! love your honesty though about being lazy at heart so need something big to aim for. I did that in 2011 with my first 70.3 Ironman at Wimbleball on Exmoor which was a real test for me but another gong is in the collection! Maybe a full Ironman in 2014 is calling me?

Jotoland - keep up the good work but be carefull of potential injury - glad you said you listen to your body and rest when needed. I trained for 6 months in 2008 for my first ever Flora London Marthon and suffered a grade 2 calf tear 7 weeks before the big day due to too much training. I still ran though (don't we ignore sensible medical advice eh!) due to my charity commitment but it was a lot of pain for over 5 hours and I want a better experience this time round!

Posted 26.11.12, 9:19pm

I'm running a bit, still recovering from the last half, and I'm going to start ramping up the easy miles doing base training soon.

Posted 28.11.12, 1:56pm