Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

so whos up to date with training?

• Author
In April 2012, I did the MK Marathon and then slacked a lot. I copped an injury which meant I didnt run much trough the summer. I did a 10 in August but really felt the miles as I hadnt run at all since april!

Then in October I did the GSR and again, felt the miles.

Christmas was hectic so again, no time for training.

Jan 1st came and I knew that the marathon this April would be here soon and knew I had to get my back side in gear!

I started with a nice 3 mile run... 2 days later, I did a 6 mile and yesterday, I did a 10 mile run (With a 1/4 of a mile walk) So am confident that I will be up to par by april.

But one things for sure, The races I did after april really did show me just hiow important training is!

Posted 06.01.13, 6:52pm

Well, I'm not up to date at all: I've been off running nearly completely for the past three weeks due to illness (nasty virus), so I'm working my way back up slowly.  Not the ideal start...

Posted 07.01.13, 2:11pm

hope yu feel better soon. Illness is hard eenough to deal with at the best of times!

Posted 07.01.13, 2:54pm

Done 4 months training for the run to the beat half marathon in october last year then continued that towards the end of december.I was trying to increase my long runs by 1 mile every week up until end feb then concentrate on a bit more speed. I managed to do a 17.7 mile run just before christmas but then fell ill with a virus:( this put me back a couple of weeks and only managed a 2.97 mile run last time out!

Im trying not to worry too much about it as had done lots of hard work before the virus struck,will try to go for an 8 miler tommorow then maybe a 12-13 on sunday!

it just feels like april 21st is racing towards me at break-neck speed lol!

im not a fast runner due to my size im more of a plodder but training to try break 4hrs 15mins:)

if anyone needs advice on anything then let me know! hopefully i can help

Posted 08.01.13, 10:58am

New to this site, and I'm hoping it will help get me through the training over the coming months.  Missed a LSR last week, due to being sick.  Was up to 13.5 miles before this.  Hoping to get 15 done tomorrow.  This will be my 4th marathon, and my first time doing London. 

Posted 11.01.13, 1:24pm

Quoted from AnnieOK:

New to this site, and I'm hoping it will help get me through the training over the coming months.  Missed a LSR last week, due to being sick.  Was up to 13.5 miles before this.  Hoping to get 15 done tomorrow.  This will be my 4th marathon, and my first time doing London. 

Hi Annie

Which other Marathons have you done?

15 in first week in January is well ahead of the game I woudl iamgine :-)

Keith

Posted 11.01.13, 1:44pm

Hi Keith,

I've done Dublin City Marathon twice and also the Waterford Viking Marathon.  Looking forward to London Smile

Posted 11.01.13, 2:14pm

Quoted from AnnieOK:

Hi Keith,

I've done Dublin City Marathon twice and also the Waterford Viking Marathon.  Looking forward to London Smile

Cool - keep meaning to do Dublin as heard its pretty good and well supported

Sure you will love your first London

Posted 11.01.13, 2:39pm

Since Christmas I feel like I'm back "on it".  Did 10 miles last weekend, hoping to get up to 11/11.5.  Feel like I've got the time,and I'm getting pretty excited about it!!

Posted 11.01.13, 2:47pm

You'll have to sign up for Dublin after London Keith - it's a great marathon.  Decent course and lots of support along the route.

Annie

Posted 11.01.13, 2:47pm

Hi annie

just checked your times out and there very good! looks like your an experienced runner who paces her runs very well!

Good luck in the marathon and have fun with the training!

dave

Posted 11.01.13, 4:04pm

Having been knocked out completely over Christmas with the flu (the real one, not my usually winter sniffle..) I was worried I was going to miss the start of my training schedule. Luckily it cleared up just in time, although I felt pretty weak for the first couple of sessions.

Having ran London last year (my first mara) and skipped so many training sessions - I really paid for it on the day with a poor time and an injured knee. This year I am adamant that I will not miss a single training session of Hal Higdon's intermediate 1 programme and so far it has gone really well. Felt good, no sign of injury, almost enjoying each session. 

I am just waiting for it all to go to pieces.

My money is on me getting ill or injured, wanting to keep running regardless just so I don't miss a session, making injury worse, getting there on the day only for injury to flare up and find myself walking 26 miles around a wet and dreary London! Chin up!!

Posted 15.01.13, 1:14pm

I completed a 14 mile today, it's the furthest I've ever ran. I must say I was pleased as punch.  Just hope to stay injury free for my first London. ;)

Posted 20.01.13, 7:05pm

Quoted from LAMBCHIPPY:

I completed a 14 mile today, it's the furthest I've ever ran. I must say I was pleased as punch.  Just hope to stay injury free for my first London. ;)

Great running and well done on the new distance PB

Is the achilles OK I take it?

Posted 20.01.13, 9:55pm

Done a 19 miler on sunday at 6am in 3 hr 10 minutes! bang on the 10m per mile i was aiming for!

Also doing some speed work on weds,and press ups and crunches 4 days a week!

aiming for a sub 4hr 30 min marathon and touch wood im on course:)

Cant wait to sample the atmosphere of being inside the ropes because at the last 14 marathons ive been on the outside looking in!

all the best 

dave

Posted 24.01.13, 4:11pm

Wow, up to 19 miles already thats pretty good going.

My longest training run so far was 2 weeks ago at 13 miles in 1Hour 52minutes, only managed 10 miles in the snow last weekend which was supposed to be a 15 miler, thats this sunday and I can't wait, because I feel pretty strong at the moment. 

Training is going ok at the moment, "touch wood" doing some speed work, hill reps and some slow recovery runs as well as doing some weight training in the gym, focusing on specific exercises which will complement my running.

Aiming to get round my first marathon full stop, but ideally want to do it under 4 hours.

I have always run but never entered a race so VLM 2013 will be my first bring it on!!!Yell

Posted 24.01.13, 4:23pm

Don't suppose it will make any difference me saying IMO both of you are running your LSRs too fast Foot in Mouth

Posted 24.01.13, 4:34pm

Sorry keith im a stubborn old git lol!

I know your only trying to help but us first timers know it allInnocenthehe

Posted 24.01.13, 4:43pm

Quoted from hollywooddave:

Sorry keith im a stubborn old git lol!

I know your only trying to help but us first timers know it allInnocenthehe

Its alright didnt expect you to listen Laughing

Posted 24.01.13, 6:31pm

London will be my first ever marathon and I was wondering where people are upto with thier LSR's? 

Is increasing my long run distance by a mile every week beneficial? 

Posted 24.01.13, 9:51pm