What to drink?

• Author
I have been filling up a waterbottle with tap water while training for the marathon. I am a complete beginner and am now up to 8.5 miles. I am looking at the information for fluid on the day. I shall be starting to buy vittel to get used to it but have never tried lucozade drinks or gels before. I was going to take sips of water at every station but because I am a very slow runner may try the lucozade products. I am unsure when to take these how many, also with water?How many gels? I find it hard to tell when I am dehydrated but also have read about the dangers of too much water. Any advice??

Posted 01.02.13, 10:52pm

water is water and i would recommend drinking when thirsty i would think sips at every station will be fine as long as its sips i personally dont do gels or lucozsde but have nuun tabs added to water when doing long runs and/ or jelly beans. during traininig you Will find what works for you, dont over think it just listen to your body! 

Smilegood luck

Posted 01.02.13, 11:46pm

Water at VLM is plentiful - maybe too plentiful. From I think mile three there is water every mile. Thats an awful lot. Personally (and others will disagree) think people are prone to drinking too much rather than too little. Aiming to drink every mile will see you drinking quite a bit even if planning to sip Laughing.

Two main aims with fuel  first is hydration - you need to work out how much water you need, things like nunn tabs, nectar hydro etc can "help" the absorbtion of that water quicker and also add some elctrolites etc. Basically they are similar to lucozade lite - few if any calories so little in way of fuel. I tend to drink very little even on marathons but everyone is different.

Second aim is fuel. Lots of different theories so try a few out. Basically you are attempting to replace some of the calories/carbs you are using up (probably can only replace about a third effectively) while running to keep you going. So if you burn 700 calories an hour (maybe ten minute miling) you may nee dto replace around 200 calories or so. A gel will give you maybe 90calories/22g of carbs. A bottle of lucozade sports 70c/20g of carbs (think they come in smaller bottles at VLM). 6 jelly babies has about the same carbs/calories as a gel. All are ways of getting sugar basically into your body.

Others use more natural foods, fruits or flapjacks etc. But you have to balnce ease of carrying and eating with taste and how they affect your tummy.

But everyone is different so maybe leave the gels/sweets  until your long runs are 90 minutes or longer then try out a few strategies.

Posted 02.02.13, 9:53am

Tried out the Lcozade sports drink and a few jelly babies today! It was my long run of 8 miles (I am following a beginner training programe from my charity VICTA). It was so much easier than last Sunday with just water. I had a jelly baby everytime I felt i was a little tired and sipped lucozade just now and again. I felt very heavy legged when finshed but felt better in myself. It may of been psychological but I will defo use them again on my long run of 9 miles next Sunday. 

Posted 03.02.13, 10:11pm

Quoted from Keith_L:

Water at VLM is plentiful - maybe too plentiful. From I think mile three there is water every mile. Thats an awful lot. Personally (and others will disagree) think people are prone to drinking too much rather than too little. Aiming to drink every mile will see you drinking quite a bit even if planning to sip Laughing.

Two main aims with fuel  first is hydration - you need to work out how much water you need, things like nunn tabs, nectar hydro etc can "help" the absorbtion of that water quicker and also add some elctrolites etc. Basically they are similar to lucozade lite - few if any calories so little in way of fuel. I tend to drink very little even on marathons but everyone is different.

Second aim is fuel. Lots of different theories so try a few out. Basically you are attempting to replace some of the calories/carbs you are using up (probably can only replace about a third effectively) while running to keep you going. So if you burn 700 calories an hour (maybe ten minute miling) you may nee dto replace around 200 calories or so. A gel will give you maybe 90calories/22g of carbs. A bottle of lucozade sports 70c/20g of carbs (think they come in smaller bottles at VLM). 6 jelly babies has about the same carbs/calories as a gel. All are ways of getting sugar basically into your body.

Others use more natural foods, fruits or flapjacks etc. But you have to balnce ease of carrying and eating with taste and how they affect your tummy.

But everyone is different so maybe leave the gels/sweets  until your long runs are 90 minutes or longer then try out a few strategies.

I think to be honest, Keith is so knowledgeable. 

Very hard to disagree with a lot of what he's saying here! 

I had a nightmare drinking way too much lucozade on the 2007 marathon. Serious barfing at docklands.

The lesson I learned, was DON'T panic if the temperature gets up. Regulate your fluid intake and as Keith say... don't drink at EVERY station. Pointless.

There is SO MUCH to drink at the marathon. Its almost absurd. What there won't be though IS FOOD.

Don't whatever you do, expect to get round the whole 26.2 without food. Some people literally turn up with a bottle of lucozade, then wonder why the heck they feel physically sick from empty stomach syndrome at 19 miles. Believe me, the TERROR of facing that knowing you still have another 7 miles to go is hard to er... stomach!

Why do I know? Because I simply didn't take enough sustainance to get me round on my first one. Vitally important to have cereal bars, energy bars, or something SOLID that you can digest. Something you enjoy can give you a moral and emotional boost as well. My mum has a banana for me at 20 miles. probably not ideal, but a treat!!!

As for electrolytes... Its important not to get dehydrated between 16-20 miles. A lot of people drink way too much then find themselves sick by time they get to Westferry. But you'll rarely see anyone suffering from dehydration later in the run. Just fatigue.

Matt

Posted 04.02.13, 7:04pm

Some great advice. I am unsure what I would use to carry food in, a small bum bag? Will maybe now alternate the water and lucozade. I am also now looking at my diet. I have cut out naughty snacks and tend to eat cereal,  sandwich for lunch and a normal dinner (lasagne, veg curry) should I now be looking at changing my diet a lot? Sorry to ask what may seem like some strange questions but it is all new to me and its getting closer...

Posted 04.02.13, 7:35pm

Come Marathon day you will see everything from people running in the skimpiest shorts and vests with no visable extra supplies to people with full backpacks looking like they are going on a weeks holiday. Take out is that you have to work out what works for you - which comes from working out what you will need to carry - again try out things on your long runs.

Many people do use bum bags and the like so if you want to then go for it! Last thing anyone will be looking at at mile twenty will be what kit bag you have on Laughing

In terms of diet its a personal view from me but as long as you eat broadly OK then I wouldn't worry too greatly. Running a marathon is hard enough without changing your lifestyle entirely.  You will be using more calories when you get up to peak mileage in late Feb/March so you will need to eat a bit more. But just be sensible and you will be fine.

Posted 04.02.13, 9:00pm