Tell us what you think

Become part of our realbuzz research team to share your views and win great prizes!

YES, I'LL HAVE A LOOK NOT NOW Please, don't show me this again

First time Marathon!!

• Author
Hi all - just joined realbuzz! This will be my first marathon - panic and excitment have started to kick in now so will be great to share that with any other first timers!

:)

Posted 11.01.13, 11:22am

Best of luck with your training, and most importantly, enjoy the journey Smile

Posted 11.01.13, 1:35pm

me too!!

I've just been reading the mile markers with running tips on the VLM website and it's got me really excited!  Plus I've had a good running week so that makes me happy :)

Posted 11.01.13, 3:01pm

Oh I need to have a look at those! How far are you running each week? I'm worried I'm not doing enough!!

Posted 11.01.13, 3:41pm

Welcome to the site! i only joined a few days back and its brilliant,loads of great advice from people in our shoes!

its my first marathon too so can not advise you too much! all i can say is you will have good and bad training runs,dont get carried away with the good ones and forget about the bad ones.

All the very best 

dave

Posted 11.01.13, 4:01pm

I'm new to the site too and London this year will also be my first marathon! I only found out I had a place last week so have only just started a proper training plan. Im dying to get stuck in but dont want to rush it. My 'long' run this weekend will only be 7 1/2 miles. 

Posted 11.01.13, 6:13pm

Hello from Berlin!

I´m also going to run my very first Marathon this year (29th September in Berlin) and am getting pretty excited. Just printed out a training plan! :)

Good luck everyone, and most importantly - lot of fun training!

Posted 11.01.13, 7:26pm

Great to know there are lots of first timers out there!! I'm going to attempt 7 miles tomorrow, snow forecast so could be interesting!! Have fun everyone, 99 days to go! 

Posted 11.01.13, 7:36pm

Quoted from Kacenka:

Hello from Berlin!

I´m also going to run my very first Marathon this year (29th September in Berlin) and am getting pretty excited. Just printed out a training plan! :)

Good luck everyone, and most importantly - lot of fun training!

Looking forward to Berlin as well - looks a great race.

Posted 11.01.13, 7:40pm

So good to find some first timers out there, all the forums I have read are full of seasoned runners. I've had a tough start with a few injuries and my 24 week plan has had to be condensed into a new 16 week plan which I started at Christmas. What time are you planning to run it in? Would be lovely to have a few people to check in with.

Good luck!

Posted 13.01.13, 9:09pm

im a first timer as well

8 mile LR tomorrow if the snow holds, failing that ill cross train for the same distance in the gym...not risking a fall!!!

Posted 14.01.13, 12:39am

Quoted from HLK:

Oh I need to have a look at those! How far are you running each week? I'm worried I'm not doing enough!!

Hi HLK

This is my 4th London. Last week, I ran a paltry 6 miles. I'm recovering from Christmas Flu.

The body can cope with up to 8 weeks away from running, without fundamentally suffering any great loss of fitness.

But obviously! You've got to train ALL the way through Jan-April to be ready.

By end of April, its absolutely fine to be doing the following:

Run 1 (Monday) - 4 miles Slow

Run 2 (Tuesday) - 4 miles fartlek (interval type training - important)

Run 3 (Thursday) - 2 miles (or 4) steady/at your chosen marathon pace (try to ensure you can run at this pace in January - set your marker down and work to this. Mine is 8 minutes 15 a mile)

Run 4 (Sunday) - 8 miles

This is a PERFECTLY reasonable amount of mileage to be doing by end of Jan.

By mid/End of Feb - Similar kind of pattern to your running days, but step the Tuesday run up to 5 miles of fartlek, the Thursday run up to 6 miles of steady and your Sunday run definely needs to go up 1 mile per week. 

Week 1 - 10 miles

Week 2 - 11 miles

Week 3 - 12 miles

Week 4 - 13.2 miles

Get to Half marathon DEFINITELY by end of Feb.

Then in essence, from there on in, you up your long run by 2 miles per week. You'll be up to 20 miles by end of march or thereabouts. Those fartlek runs midweek need to go up to 6 miles (they are hard work) - but they are what give you the stamina.

Its hard work, but just think how CLOUD NINE you'll feel every time you go into the 'unknown' - breaking those extra two mile barriers is inspiring, exciting and fullfilling. you be thinking... HOW AM I DOING THIS!!!!

Its amazing mate.

Matt

Posted 14.01.13, 9:27am

Would personally question that the body can cope with eight weeks out without any fundamental loss of fitness. I think after a couple of weeks things start to degenrate a bit, after eight weeks it would be tough but would agree that you wont have lost all residue fitness and coming back will be esier than starting again from scratch.

Program above is OK but doesnt allow for any recovery weeks which most coach driven plans do and also a bit back end loaded for me.

Posted 14.01.13, 9:37am

Well I managed 6.42 on Saturday in an hour which I was pleased with, I'm planning on increasing by a mile / mile and half each long run, I've got a half marathon in March so want to be able to run all of that. Snow where I am so will have to use the gym - haven't been for ages or indeed used the running machine, some people say its easier!

Posted 14.01.13, 9:57am

Hello, another first timer here but I've benefitted not only from the advice on here but also that of family members who have run marathons. Best advice I have had is to follow a plan, when you have something written in black and white it is a lot easier to stick too and if you use one that its tried and tested (Hal Higdon is a name splashed around on this site, but that is because it really does work http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide) then you know you are doing the right milage at the right time.

Hope all the training goes well and who knows we may see each other among the masses (Roll on April 21st)

Posted 14.01.13, 10:32am

Just dipped into this and can see a common worry every year for newbies......DON'T get hung up on what others are doing. If you have a plan, stick to it - all being well. Everyone has different plans and ways of doing the training. DON'T panic if you are 'only' doing a 13 miler when some folk are doing 18. The plans are there for guidance but I stuck to mine like glue for my first every marathon which was London 08 as I had no idea what to do so left it to someone who did.

I enjoyed it so much, my next mara was London 09 where I wanted a sub 4. I say that as I also knew someone else who was chasing a sub 4. She was doing STACKS more mileage earlier on than me and I began to doubt my plan and myself. I stuck at it and I got my sub 4 - she however, didn't and by quite a margin.

So, no point in worrying what others are doing, or letting anyone stres you out about what they are doing. Great to swap experiences but keep to you own plan.....it should all come good in the end.

Enjoy the journey and look after yourselves.  Laughing

Posted 14.01.13, 10:38am

Thanks for the advice! I've come to the conclusion that if I can be up to 10 miles by middle of Feb and just keep building on that I'll be OK - each run is different for me, oddly I enjoy my long runs more at the moment! I'm doing this alone so every week when I increase my mileage its an achievement! I've been told the crowd are brilliant at helping you on your way too!Smile

Posted 14.01.13, 1:15pm

I think Nunezela is right. It isn't about other people's plans. Its about your own.

But I think it is how to regulate your eating and fluid intake on the way round is just as important on a first one.

Slower runners will get hungry! If you think about it, if you run a marathon on 2 hours 30, then that's not so physically long in time for the body to be without a meal. However, 4-5 hours is.

Take a food you like as well as something functional. I took a mix of cereal bars (yum!) and a couple of proper energy bars.

Posted 15.01.13, 8:40am

to follow on the hunger point above, does anyone know what type of drink/sports gu is available for the london marathon or is a "bring youre own" typa thing . . . . any advice on when and how much to "eat" would be much appreciated too . . .

Posted 15.01.13, 12:18pm

Lucozade sporst drinks are available on the course. For the past 3 years they ahve also provided lucozade gels at two places on course. In addition there is plenty of water.

How often and how much? Its trial and error. Thats part fo what long runs are for - trying out what works well for you. On marathon day you will see everything from people just drinking water to people carrying 8/9 gels.

Personally I would avoid any food on shorter runs (say up to 10-13) to not get body over dependant on gels/fruit etc

But try out a few things and see what works for you

Posted 15.01.13, 12:31pm