Healthy drinks

    • Author
    • Message

What drinks are the healthier options when you go out?

Posted 14.11.10, 9:14am

Do you mean alcoholic drinks, as in which are the least damaging? 

Posted 15.11.10, 3:21pm

Cider is excellent I find, especially in a good pub where they have a quality option (not just Strongbow...)

If I'm not drinking I never know what to have. Just as well I never do that really. Money mouth

Posted 15.11.10, 3:40pm

Calorie-wise, spirits such as vodka with tonic water (slimline) or diet pop.

Posted 16.11.10, 5:46pm

Not sure about diet pop, there's some rotten stuff they put in them there diet drinks. Aspartame for example:

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

death

 And yet the FSA tell us it's safe despite repeated requests to re-assess it.

Stick to the regular colas.

Posted 16.11.10, 11:41pm

Low calorie very rarely means healthy. It's just another game the food industry plays, knowing about the weightloss obsession.

Posted 17.11.10, 9:12am

As far as 'healthy' going out options go, fruit juice is about as far as it goes... to a point. I presumed 'healthy' to be 'low calorie option'.

I admit I drink diet pop, should I ever wish to drink the stuff (i.e. not often)... I agree it's nowhere near good for you though. Aspartame is pretty nasty stuff. Diet pop can also be a cause of weight gain.

Posted 17.11.10, 5:34pm

Quote:

Not sure about diet pop, there's some rotten stuff they put in them there diet drinks. Aspartame for example:

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

death

 And yet the FSA tell us it's safe despite repeated requests to re-assess it.

Stick to the regular colas.

To be fair, my ex-wife caused me to have most of this list!!!....Surprised....It's evil stuff and the drinks are not much better for you than the real stuff???..Why not just drink water?...better for you than all that chemical crap and won't need to take much cash out for the night!...I drank water for about 1 year once (everywhere we all went)...no alcohol at all.....Drink water.~

Posted 17.11.10, 6:22pm

Malibu and diet coke- healthier than having it with the full fat stuff?!

Posted 18.11.10, 9:04am

Yep, water is a staple of my night out drinking, I'll enjoy a few pints sometimes, but there will be a few pints of water in amongst them. Don't really suffer hangovers since I've been doing that either.

Posted 19.11.10, 9:34pm

Avoid the alcopops

Posted 24.11.10, 5:48pm

I didn't realise that diet drinks were that bad for you- I knew they weren't good for you, but didn't think they were that bad. I've been trying to drink the clear spirits since, and the odd glass of wine

Posted 28.11.10, 4:35pm

I generally opt for vodka and orange - counts as one of my five a day too!

Posted 02.12.10, 5:18pm

Quote:

I generally opt for vodka and orange - counts as one of my five a day too!

Is that the same with cider and perry? Laughing

Posted 03.12.10, 12:17pm

Quote:  Is that the same with cider and perry? Laughing

 Of course! Well, according to my rules anyway! Smile

Posted 08.12.10, 4:42pm

I love black grape juice - I have two shots of it every morning (in shot glass)

Posted 09.12.10, 12:30pm

Quote:

Quote:  Is that the same with cider and perry? Laughing

 Of course! Well, according to my rules anyway! Smile

 So Rasberry Vodka with Orange would count as two yes?  Laughing

Posted 10.12.10, 10:52am

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:  Is that the same with cider and perry? Laughing

 Of course! Well, according to my rules anyway! Smile

 So Rasberry Vodka with Orange would count as two yes?  Laughing

If these are the new rules I think we should all make a real effort to get our five a day over the Christmas period...and remember guys five a day is the minimum recommended amount!

Posted 15.12.10, 3:38pm

Pom - I love it!

Posted 16.12.10, 2:28pm

I like mango juice .

Posted 19.05.11, 7:48pm