The 2012 season is just around the corner with the first race starting on March 18th in Melbourne.
Most of the teams have been busy with pre qualifying tests in Barcelona, making small adjustments here and there to ensure their cars are ready for Australia. Saturday just gone Di Resta acheived third fastest time overall....now I hate the phrase "I told you so"...buuut ;-) If you're a betting man/woman put on your money on Di Resta being the most improved driver of the season!
Button has apparently been on good form but not alot has been said about reigning champ Vettel, with some luck it will be a case of "Vettel who" in 2012 as lets be honest we were all getting a bit bored of Vettel standing on that top podium spot wernt we?!
Red Bull's Mark Webber won the Brazilian Grand Prix to take his first victory of the season in the final race, well done to him.
1st - Webber
2nd - Vettel
3rd - Button
There was relief from Button as anything above 3rd would have dropped him to 3rd in the overall driver standings for the season.
Overall standings for the 2011 finished;
1. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault 392 Points
2. Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes 270 Points
3. Mark Webber - Red Bull-Renault 258 Points
4. Fernando Alonso - Ferrari 257 Points
5. Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes 227 Points
6. Felipe Massa - Ferrari 118 Points
7. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes GP 89 Points
8. Michael Schumacher - Mercedes GP 76 Points
9. Adrian Sutil - Force India-Mercedes 42 Points
10. Vitaly Petrov - Renault 37 Points
So last F1 race of the season this Sunday in Brazil and with it comes much pressure toward Massa as hes been told he must perform better in 2012 or risk his position with Ferrari for 2013!
Button has ALOT to prove this weekend as he must come atleast third to take 2nd on the overall driver standings.
Di Resta will drive for Force India in 2012. He will surprise alot of people in 2012 with his performance, watch this space. I wouldnt be surprised if hes driving for one of the bigger teams by 2013, perhaps Ferrari if Massa doesnt deliver the goods in 2012? hmmmm.
My prediction for Brazil: Vettel 1st, Button 2nd, Alonso 3rd.
Finland's Jari-Matti Latvala and co-driver Mikka Anttila in their Ford Fiesta WRC won the rally, 3min 42.9 seconds ahead of Norway's Mads Ostberg. The Finn held onto his overnight lead throughout all of Sunday's six special stages and was credited with fastest times on the eleven of the twenty-three stages.
Driver standings for Wales Rally GB:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen 14m38.0s
2. Mikko Hirvonen Ford + 0.7s
3. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford + 3.1s
4. Petter Solberg Solberg Citroen + 11.9s
5. Kris Meeke Mini + 18.7s
6. Dani Sordo Mini + 27.3s
7. Mads Ostberg Stobart Ford + 27.8s
8. Ott Tanak Stobart Ford + 30.6s
9. Matthew Wilson Stobart Ford + 36.5s
10. Henning Solberg Stobart Ford + 37.8s