There are many quick, easy and delicious recipes for preparing wholesome healthy meals and snacks. Eating whole foods can be very satisfying and rewarding for the entire family.
It is always great fun getting everyone involved in the kitchen and you get the added bonus of a tasty snack at the end of it all — then you just need to work out who is going to wash the dishes!
Here are a few quick and healthy snack ideas to get started with:
If you can encourage the kids to have a taste — why not try the following good mood and energy boosting combinations?
- Carrot, apple and some green leaves
- Apple, carrot, lemon and ginger
- Pear, broccoli, celery and carrot
- Carrot, beetroot and apple
This dip is also delicious spread on crackers.
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ clove garlic (optional)
Mash avocado, crush garlic and add lemon juice — delicious.
Here a few spreads and non-dairy milkshakes for you also to try out with your kids:
Apple and date jam
- 1 apple (or if your prefer, use a banana)
- 5 dates
- 5 dried apricot (optional)
- ¼ cup of water
Blend all the ingredients well and spread on toast, bagels or wholemeal muffins.
Banana and berries yoghurt
- ¼ cup almond or cashew nuts
- 1 banana
- ½ cup berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries)
- Juice of 1 orange
Blend well and chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
Banana mint shake
- 2 bananas
- ¼ cup unsalted nuts — almond or cashew
- 3 to 4 fresh mint leaves
Blend until smooth and creamy!
Chocolate mocha shake
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut meat
- ½ tsp unprocessed honey
- ¼ tsp raw carob bean powder
- 2 bananas
Blend until smooth — chill in fridge.