10 signs you’re a running addict
When running becomes your life
Runners are often described as obsessive creatures; logging every mile and spending hours poring over race results. However how do you know if you’ve become a running addict? Here are 10 signs to watch out for…
1.You often find yourself breaking out into a spontaneous stretching routine in public - whether you’re queuing at the shop or filling up with petrol, it’s always good to stretch your hamstrings!
2. Whenever you see a golf course/footpath/park you think ‘what a nice place for a run’ or ‘I’d love to smash some intervals out around there.’
3. You’re prepared to set your alarm for ‘silly o’clock’ simply so that you can fit in a run before your other commitments for the day.
4. You have nicknames for your various run routes and/or the hills or unpleasant sections on them.
5. You regularly run around in small circles simply to round your distance or time up. If your schedule says 7 miles you have to run 7 miles, 6.9 miles is inconceivable!
6. You own more running gear than smart clothes and you consider it socially acceptable to wander around the supermarket in Lycra or compression socks.
7. You wear Deep Heat like perfume!
8. You hoard race medals like a magpie and have boxes of them in your spare room, the kitchen, under your bed...
9. You avidly follow other runners on any social media platform that you can.
10. You have unnatural feelings of jealousy when you see other people running when you’re not able to.
Written by Louise Damen
Louise is a two-time England Cross Country Champion and a former European XC Trials winner. She has also represented GB at various international events and her marathon PB is 2:30:00.