Avocado and cucumber lassi
Post-exercise, high-energy power drink
A ‘lassi' is an Indian yogurt drink — the Indian version of a smoothie, really. It tends to be made with thick creamy yogurt, but I find that the avocado makes it creamy enough, so I use a mix of low-fat yogurt and skimmed milk. A fantastic way to drink your veggies, this is a high-energy power drink, yet the addition of the mint and the cucumber makes it taste light and fresh.
Avocado is one of those superfoods which is just brimming with goodness — it has plenty of energy-giving calories, but they are the type of calories you want to put in your body; rich in potassium, B vitamins, beta-carotene and monounsaturated fats which can help lower cholesterol and reduce blood pressure. What's more, the yogurt/milk mix provides good amounts of calcium and protein. Depending on your mood and the time of day, you could give the drink a bit of kick with some spices such as ginger, coriander or cumin.
1. Blend together the avocado, cucumber, salt, mint, milk and yogurt.
2. Add the ice cubes and blend again until the ice is crushed.
3. Serve in tall glasses with some ground cumin sprinkled on top and perhaps a stick of cucumber or fresh ginger.
- ½ avocado, chilled, peeled, stone removed and cut into cubes
- ½ cucumber, chilled, peeled and cut into cubes
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 75ml low-fat natural yoghurt
- 75ml skimmed milk
- 8 crushed ice cubes
- Ground cumin and stick of cucumber or fresh ginger to serve
Serves: 2 x 150ml glasses
Preparation: 5 minutes
Good for: Nutritionally-balanced energy drink, good for a boost before exercise or for rehydrating and replenishing lost nutrients after exercise. You could also make it for lunch in place of a solid meal
Calories (kcal): 150.5
Protein (g): 5.9
Carbs (g): 8
Fat (g): 10.6
Fiber (g): 2.2