Courgette pasta millefeuille with a tomato salad
Healthy, low-fat vegetarian recipe
Courgettes are delicious, easy to cook, low in calories with a good amount of vitamins A and C, plus folic acid and potassium. This is my healthy version of a millefeuille — a traditional cream cake available in patisseries in France made with layers of puff pastry and custard cream. We swap the layers of pastry with fresh lasagne sheets, and the custard cream with griddled courgettes, peppers, feta cheese and a basil dressing.
Much easier to make, lower in fat, much more sustaining and can be eaten warm or even cold. You can replace the courgettes with griddled aubergines if you like.
1. Mix all the salad ingredients together, arrange on a plate and chill.
2. Put the two red peppers into a hot oven (220˚C) for 15 minutes until blackened. Remove the peppers and peel, deseed and cut into quarters when they have cooled down a little (you can pop them into a plastic bag and leave them for 5 minutes if you like — the steam created makes the peel come off really easily).
3. Heat a griddle or frying pan until really hot, brush the courgette strips with olive oil and cook for a couple of minutes on each side.
4. Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the lasagne sheets according to pack instructions, normally a couple of minutes.
5. Chop the basil as small as possible and mix with the olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
6. Arrange layers of pasta, courgette, peppers and feta (the feta will crumble), the basil dressing and a good grind of black pepper on two individual plates. Build up the layers so that each portion has about 5 sheets of pasta — 2 layers of courgette, 2 layers of peppers and one on the top.
7. Crumble some more feta and some basil leaves over the top and drizzle with the dressing.
8. Serve with the salad of fresh ripe tomatoes and eat with a sharp knife to cut cleanly through the lasagne sheets.
For the pasta:
- 10 fresh lasagne sheets (must be fresh!)
- 4 medium sized courgettes, sliced as thinly as possible lengthways
- 2 red peppers
- Pack of feta cheese, sliced very thinly
- 3 tbs good quality, fruity olive oil
- 1 tbs good quality balsamic vinegar (white is best)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Bunch of fresh basil, chopped finely, plus some leaves for decoration
For the salad:
- 3 or 4 ripe vine tomatoes, sliced
- 1 mild onion, sliced as thinly as possible
- A few black kalamata olives and or or capers
- Good grind of black pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt
- Handful of basil leaves, torn up
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Generous glug of good olive oil
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes to assemble
Good for: A lovely fresh-tasting, healthy low-fat vegetarian meal. Light on the stomach, so a good meal to have before a training session
Calories (kcal): 494.5
Protein (g): 12.8
Carbs (g): 46.4
Fat (g): 29.2
Fiber (g): 6.4