Devilled tomatoes on toast
Nutritious low G.I. breakfast
This is a really satisfying breakfast ... and quick to prepare. The tomatoes and the wholemeal toast have a really low G.I. and so will release energy to your bloodstream slowly and gradually; the tomatoes are brimming with nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin A and B and minerals such as niacin, riboflavin, magnesium, phosphorous and calcium. They are also a good source of fiber and the antioxidant lycopene (good for fighting disease).
You can play around with the ingredients to make the tomatoes as hot and spicy as you fancy, but this is how we like it ...
1. Heat the grill so that it is hot.
2. Place the tomatoes stem up and cut them in half horizontally.
3. In a bowl, mix together the butter, cayenne, Worcester sauce, vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper.
4. Put the tomatoes on a baking sheet, cut side up, and pop a knob of butter mixture on each tomato half. Pour over any excess juice.
5. Sprinkle the sugar over the tomatoes.
6. Place under the grill for about 10 minutes until golden.
7. Meanwhile make your toast.
8. Place four tomato halves onto each slice of toast. Scrape any excess juices from the pan and pour over the tomatoes. Eat immediately.
- 4 good quality tomatoes (preferably on the vine), halved
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 tbs Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 20g softened butter
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 slices good quality wholemeal bread to toast
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Good for: Low G.I. nutritious breakfast which will keep you sustained until lunchtime
Calories (kcal): 207.5
Protein (g): 5.5
Carbs (g): 20.6
Fat (g): 11.7
Fiber (g): 3.2