None

Hadrian's Cycleway

UK cycle trails

A long-distance cycling route — the final completed section of which opened in July 2006 — that stretches the length of the Hadrian’s Wall World Heritage Site, linking Ravenglass on the Cumbrian coast to Tynemouth near Newcastle.

The route takes in the Newcastle Quayside and the famous Tyne bridges before journeying out to the countryside via Wylam, Corbridge and Hexham, and then on to Carlisle. Several important Roman sites and museums are dotted along the route.

How difficult is Hadrian’s Cycleway?

Most of the route follows well-surfaced gravel cycle paths, tarmac cycle paths and quiet minor roads. Although there are no difficult off-road sections, there are a few steep, short hills in the central section, which feature climbs of up to 150m or 492ft in height). The route can also be ridden in the opposite direction. Of the total distance of the cycleway, approximately 71 per cent is on-road, while the other 29 per cent is off-road.

Distance: 160 miles (approximately 257.5km)

Comments (0)

    Be the first to comment on this

    You have been redirected to our desktop site

    The page you were trying to access is not supported on mobile devices