Hot oatcakes with strawberries and minted maple syrup
Low-fat breakfast recipe
These ultra-light little oatcakes make a delightful, quick, easy and balanced breakfast, containing protein, slow-burning carbohydrate, vitamins, calcium, minerals and fiber. A fantastic start to the day if you plan to do exercise or if you have a big day ahead of you. The mint in the maple syrup makes it slightly less sweet and is the perfect accompaniment to the strawberries. We sometimes warm the syrup and the strawberries together in a pan for a moment before pouring over the oatcakes.
1. Mix together the mint and the maple syrup and leave for a few minutes to infuse.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well for the eggs. Break the eggs into the well and then mix together quickly with a metal spoon, gradually adding the milk until you have a smooth batter.
3. Add the warm water and the melted butter. Don't let the mixture rest, use it immediately.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan and melt a knob of butter in it.
5. Cook 3 to 4 oatcakes at a time at a gentle heat, using a scant tablespoon of batter for each cake — you do not want them too thick and they will rise anyway during the cooking process.
6. Cook for a minute or two until bubbles start to appear and then flip over and cook for a minute on the other side.
7. Serve immediately with the strawberries and the minted maple syrup.
- 150g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 50g unrefined porridge oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40ml warm water
- 25g melted butter (optional)
- 2 fresh, free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 150ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 15g caster sugar
- 400g punnet of strawberries
- 2 tbs fresh mint, chopped very finely
- Maple syrup
Serves: About 8 oatcakes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 3-5 minutes
Good for: Low G.I., low fat, hearty breakfast. Fantastic for fuelling up for a big day ahead, whether you are doing a big workout session or have a heavy work schedule. Great for a weekend brunch also
Calories (kcal): 164.1
Protein (g): 5.3
Carbs (g): 24.8
Fat (g): 4.9
Fiber (g): 1.6