Linguini with mussels, chilli, white wine and crème fraîche
High iron recipe for endurance training
This dish is equally good with clams, which, along with mussels, are really high in iron. Iron levels get depleted during hard exercise so it is really important to keep them topped up, especially if you are a woman. Preparing the mussels may seem a bit of a chore, but it only takes 10 minutes and can be quite therapeutic.
1. Prepare the mussels — under running water scrub them and pull off any stringy beards sticking out for them. Discard any mussels that do not close up when you clean them.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil for the linguine.
3. Place the mussels in a large pan, with the wine, ½ the parsley, the garlic, chili and pepper and cook on a high heat, with the lid tightly on. Shake them or stir them so that the mussels at the top get the chance to cook in the juice at the bottom.
4. After about 5 minutes, when the mussels are cooked (they will have opened and will start to look plump), turn off the heat. If you can be bothered, take about half of them out of their shells.
5. Cook the linguini. Drain and then pop back into the pan, with a small ladle of the cooking liquid. Keep on a very low heat, add the crème fraîche, the mussels and all their juice (you may want to check that there is no grit in the mussel juice — if there is you may want to strain it). Taste and season.
6. Throw in the rest of the parsley and then a really decent glug of fruity extra virgin olive oil.
7. Present in a large dish and serve up at the table. Some may like a little extra chili to sprinkle on top.
- 250g linguini
- 750g mussels, scrubbed and prepared
- 1 dried chilli, chopped small
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- Good splash of white wine
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 250g pot crème fraîche
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15-20 minutes
Difficulty: Relatively easy
Good for: Excellent source of iron and good for endurance training
Calories (kcal): 1191.1
Protein (g): 49.7
Carbs (g): 100.3
Fat (g): 63.4
Fiber (g): 4.2