Pork tenderloin and chorizo kebabs with a lamb's lettuce salad
Low carb recipe, rich in protein, vitamins and minerals
Lamb's lettuce has tender, dark, oval leaves and a lovely tangy flavor. It is also rich in vitamin A and C, iron and folic acid. If you can't get hold of it, use spinach or watercress instead. Although I absolutely love pork, I try not to eat it too often, as it is pretty high in cholesterol. The same goes for chorizo, but it is used sparingly in this recipe and it does make for the most delicious kebabs.
Also when you thread the kebabs, make sure the bread is next to the chorizo so that the juices run into it — it is really mouth-watering, if a bit indulgent.
For the chorizo kebabs:
1. If you are using bamboo skewers, put them into a bowl of water for ½ hour or so — otherwise they will burn!
2. In a bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, chopped sage (tarragon works just as well) and paprika with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add the kebab ingredients and make sure everything is well-coated. Leave until the kebab sticks are ready.
3. Thread the kebabs — this order is best: green pepper, pork, sage leaf, bread, chorizo, green pepper.
4. Cook the kebabs under a medium to hot grill or on the barbecue, whatever the weather dictates, for about 10 minutes, turning so that all the sides get cooked. The bread should go crispy and the pork should be just cooked through.
Meanwhile ... make the salad:
1. Sauté the bacon until crisp in a good knob of butter and a little olive oil.
2. Add the apples and cook until just on the verge of going soft.
3. Add salt and plenty of black pepper, plus a little vinegar.
4. Add the mixture, scraping the juices off the pan, to the lettuce just before serving.
For the chorizo kebabs:
- 175-200g tenderloin of pork, fat removed: cut into 12 x 2.5cm cubes
- Sage leaves — keep 12 for the kebabs and chop 6 for the marinade
- 12 x 2cm cubes bread (granary best)
- 1 green pepper
- 6 x 2cm lumps of chorizo
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp paprika
For the lamb's lettuce salad:
- Two large handfuls (or small bag) of lamb's lettuce, spinach or watercress
- 1 apple, chopped into small chunks
- Butter and olive oil
- Smoked bacon pieces or pancetta, chopped small
- White balsamic or white wine vinegar
Serves: 2 — makes two large kebabs or 4 small ones
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus soaking the kebab sticks
Cooking: 10 minutes
Good for: Rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, low carbohydrate — a delicious indulgence if you fancy a break from carbs. Great recipe for an informal supper party or summer barbecue
Calories (kcal): 653.3
Protein (g): 35.9
Carbs (g): 27.8
Fat (g): 44.9
Fiber (g): 5.8