Quick seafood paella
Healthy, balanced recipe for energy recovery
This delicious Spanish paella is very easy to make, excellent for training and is a complete balanced meal in one dish. If you can't get to the fish shop you can use frozen seafood quite successfully, just use what is available. Spanish paella rice is a short-grain rice, which is a relatively high G.I. carbohydrate. This means that it is digested quickly into your system and therefore very good to eat if you have just had an intensive workout as it will help your muscles recover as quickly as possible.
To make this dish more suitable for endurance, just use low G.I. rice, like Basmati instead and add a can of chickpeas or butter beans at stage 4 of the cooking.
1. Season the chicken and then brown it in some oil in a large pan. Remove the chicken pieces and then add the onion, bay leaf and red pepper. Sauté gently until the onion is golden.
2. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper and sugocasa (a tin of tomatoes will do instead) and cook for a couple of minutes to release the aromas.
3. Add the rice and stir around so that the rice is nice and glossy. Add the hot stock (include glass of dry white wine if you like), the chicken and the chorizo, stir and cook gently, uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Shake the pan every now and then to stop the rice sticking.
4. Taste for seasoning — depending on the saltiness of your stock, you may need to add some salt. Stir in the peas, the mussels and cook for about another 10 minutes, without stirring, until the rice is cooked and the mussels have opened. You may need to add a little extra stock.
5. Heat 1 tbs of oil in a separate pan and quickly fry the prawns and squid. Add this to the paella, scraping out any juices. Add the parsley, leave the paella to rest for a couple of minutes and place the pan on the center of the table to serve with some lemon wedges to squeeze over.
6. This tastes good with a green salad.
- 2 free-range chicken thighs, on the bone
- 80g chorizo (spicy if possible, cut into large chunks)
- 200g Spanish paella rice
- ½ litre hot chicken stock with a pinch saffron
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika (preferably Spanish smoked paprika)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ jar sugocasa
- 8 large prawns in their shells
- 8 mussels, cleaned (wash under cold water; pull out the beard and discard any that do not close when you handle them)
- 150g squid, cleaned and sliced
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Handful of frozen petit-pois or peas
- Lemon wedges
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
Difficulty: Relatively easy
Good for: Recovery (if paella rice is used). Good balance of carbohydrate, protein, iron, vitmains and other minerals
Calories (kcal): 933.5
Protein (g): 76.8
Carbs (g): 89.2
Fat (g): 29.8
Fiber (g): 9.3