Tomato and chilli zinger
Post-exercise salt replacement drink
This drink will give you a real boost. It is absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals and the little added spice is perfect if you need to give yourself a kick-start. Tomatoes are absolutely brimming with vitamin C and anti-oxidants and it is now widely accepted that a diet high in tomatoes will help reduce cholesterol levels and the risk of cancer, especially colon and prostate cancer.
A delicious, healthy and flavorsome drink; just the thing if you are feeling low or lethargic or if you lost a lot of sweat during a big exercise session.
1. Blend everything together in a blender. Taste for seasoning.
2. Serve in tall glasses with some basil leaves and a celery stick as a stirrer.
- 250ml tomato juice
- ½ red pepper, seeded
- ¼ small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ (2 inch piece) cucumber, peeled
- ½ stick celery, stringy bits removed
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze of lemon
- Tabasco and Worcester sauce to taste
- 4 crushed ice cubes
- Basil leaves and celery stick to decorate
Serves: 2 x 200ml glasses
Preparation: 5 minutes
Good for: Nutritious savoury drink. Great for replacing lost salts after exercise or if you need to give yourself a quick booster. Also makes a tasty, non-alcoholic cocktail
Calories (kcal): 72.8
Protein (g): 2.8
Carbs (g): 11.4
Fat (g): 1.7
Fiber (g): 2.5