Top 10 climbing tips
Essential hints for starting out in climbing
Once you’ve decided that climbing could be the sport to boost your health and fitness levels, it’s important to get the right kit and exercise program before jumping right in to your climbing. Here’s the realbuzz.com guide to starting out in climbing.
1. Make sure you brush up on first aid, and know how and where to call for help if necessary. Take a note of exactly where you are and tell someone where you are going and what time you expect to return.
2. Don’t attempt a climb without the support of more experienced climbers.
3. Make sure all equipment is regularly checked and correctly fitted.
4. Don’t attempt climbs beyond your skill level.
5. Regularly practice techniques and try out new ones on easy climbs.
6. When moving up a route, stay as close to the face or wall as you can. The closer your center of gravity is to the wall, the less your muscles have to work to hold you. Climb with the inside edge of your feet, not the toes, to achieve this.
7. Rely upon your legs more than your upper body strength. Remember — your legs are much stronger than your arms.
8. Bring one foot up at a time to reduce the strain on your hands.
9. Always try to position your hands and feet on the holds in the positions you will want them in for the next step. This will help you to anticipate your next move.
10. Don’t lean too far from the wall when resting, as it will take more strength for you to pull your body back against the face.