Top 10 tips for people starting out in canoeing and kayaking
Essential advice for canoeing and kayaking beginners
Canoeing and kayaking is both a great fun activity and an excellent fitness workout, but when starting out in canoeing and kayaking, it’s important to get a grip on some of the basics so that you can participate in a safe manner.
Here are a few canoeing basics to keep you safe on the water when canoeing ...
- Don’t over-estimate your canoeing or kayaking ability.
- Always tell someone you are about to head out on the water, where you are going and what time you expect to return.
- Make sure you have good knowledge of the water you are about to paddle on.
- Check out the water quality before you head out canoeing and kayaking.
- Avoid capsize drill or ‘rolling’ in stagnant or slow moving water, particularly where rat infestation is obvious.
- Don’t use canoe and kayak equipment in open water that you are not familiar with.
- Get permission before canoeing and kayaking onto private property.
- Avoid wildlife disturbance and environmental damage when canoeing and kayaking.
- Be considerate to other water users.
- Avoid being an intrusion on local life when canoeing and kayaking.
- Always wear a life vest when canoeing and kayaking.