Rewind: THAT weekend

Posted on: 24 Nov 2015

Apologies for lack of comments recently - blame equally shared between my computer, Realbuzz, and myself. I will get back on it now, though.

This time last week, it was a summery 15°, now we're into minus figures, and have had the first snow of the winter. Me no like - can we wind it back a few weeks, please? No........? Better just get on with it, then.

Well actually, blogging-wise I DO have to wind it back a few weeks, having once again got rather behind. So...........

Saturday 24 October: up early, breakfast, then I sat down in front of my computer (in its pre-misbehaving days) to track 2 marathons: the Transruinaulta trail marathon in Switzerland (my friend Jacqueline; Emma Pooley), and of course a certain event in Snowdonia (a motley crew of heroic Buzzers - VERY heroic in view of the weather, and the condition some of them were in.) This got a little complicated, switching back and forth between them, but one by one, I saw them all home. Except I didn't, quite; taking advantage of one of the quieter spells to grab something to eat, I managed to miss the 'main event' - the arrival of Hollywood and his escort. I did let out a retrospective cheer, though; and then, inspired, went out for a trot myself. Up to Stutz, along the lake to the Kantonsschule, 10 rounds of the track (which now had a liberal covering of crunchy acorns along one side), and home taking in the longer options round by Wartegg, the Wagner Museum, and round the back of the lido, even though the path across it is now open again. About 8.5 kms, and 1 hr 6ish. (The acorns slowed me down!) Started in the light, finished in the dark (which I thought might have made a good title for the post, had I written it at the time) - and this was the day BEFORE the clocks changed.

Sunday 25 October: enjoyed my extra hour, quick breakfast, then out in support of the third marathon of the weekend: our own Lucerne Marathon. We have a perfect spectating point for this, about 50 metres down the road, just past Schönbühl. The leaders were just beginning to come through as we arrived, both marathon and half marathon. Soon they were streaming by in their hundreds. The first person I spotted that I knew was a member of the orchestra, running his marathon debut. "You're not working tonight, are you?!" I asked incredulously. He assured me he wasn't. The next was Ruedi Frehner, charity runner extraordinaire, pacemaking the 1:45 half marathon. When I jumped out to say hello, he took hold of my hand, and I ran alongside him as far as the beginning of the hill up to Stutz. He not only remembered who I was, my name, and that I worked in the theatre, he seemed genuinely pleased to see me, and introduced me to his fellow pacemaker, mentioning that he has a new project coming up soon, and to look out for it on his website. Some 20 minutes later, along came Gianni, running group leader, and 4:15 marathon pacemaker, and soon after that, my friend Jonas. The photo report has managed to catch me hi-fiving him, but I haven't been able to copy it. There were others too that I missed in the crowd, including Jonas's partner (my hairdresser) running her first half marathon. Once everyone was through, and our cheering duties were no longer required for a while, we walked along to Schönbühl, bought a coffee and Gipfeli from the petrol station, and chatted to a spectating colleague for a while. By now, a misty, somewhat chilly morning had blossomed into a perfect autumn day, cool and sunny, ideal conditions for running. Before long, the marathon leaders started coming past again on their second round, so we returned to our usual place to cheer some more. Now that it was just the marathoners, it was easier to spot people, so we also saw Heidy this time. Philipp, the orchestra guy, looking not quite so sprightly any more. (Not only had he committed the almost universal mistake of starting too fast, he told me later that his strategically-placed plasters had fallen off, a replacement pair obtained from the first aid people had also fallen off, and he finished the race in some considerable discomfort!) Ruedi, his official pacemaker service finished, voluntarily going round again! - keeping the 4 hr pacemaker company. Gianni again, doing a good job. And Jonas, starting to look a bit weary, so I ran with him too, halfway up to Stutz. By now, J. had gone home, but I hung on until the sweeper bike, reckoning that the tail-enders deserved support too. Home, quick cup of tea, then off on my third instalment of spectating. Caught a bus (eventually) into the city centre, and took up position opposite the theatre. Marathon runners continued to straggle past, now with about 3 kms to go. A very tired-looking Jonas had managed to team up with another very tired-looking guy, so they were helping each other along. Then like a sudden adrenaline rush, the 5-milers started coming through; I recognized Ariella among them, and gave her a shout. With the premiere of 'Sweeney Todd' looming up that evening, I didn't stay till the very end, but felt I had given it a fair effort. By now getting very hungry, I called in at Burger King near the station (finding it full of runners similarly sinning, while dissecting the details of their day), not only to eat something, but also to acquire opening-night 'presents' for colleagues: ketchup! (having joked about 'Sweeney Todd' involving lots of ketchup.) The woman at the till looked a bit disbelieving when I ordered "A cheeseburger, small fries......... and 10 ketchups", but gave me them without question. She must have thought I REALLY liked ketchup! (I did actually eat one of them.) Home, a quick check of the results on Datasport, got changed, then off to work. Premieres are always stressful, but it went okay, and the ketchup raised a smile. I went to the party afterwards, but towards 11 ('really' 12), I suddenly felt shattered, and headed for home and my bed. It was quite a weekend!

Thinking about the marathon afterwards.......... would I like to do it again? Not sure. Maybe. Or maybe twice was enough - especially on a route I run all the time. Since I'm not likely to better my time now, then perhaps as the little old lady near the back: slow, but smiles a lot, and gets lots of support. (So I said, half joking, half serious.)


The half, maybe. I'll save the other for somewhere else, somewhere new.

Ask me again next year.

Tell us your story

Inspire and be inspired by sharing your health or fitness journey. Your blog will provide you with a permanent record of your progress, with the added bonus of motivation and encouragement from our members along the way.

* Manage my blogs