- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 6-8 people
Ingredients hide check list
Also the almonds in this cake provide good, cholesterol-reducing monounsaturated fats and also contain significant amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E, plus magnesium and potassium. Yes, they are basically good for you. It is also an incredibly quick cake to make and good enough to serve up as a desert with a dollop of cream or some fruit.
- Turn the oven on to 180°C and grease the cake tin - use a 23cm (9 inch) spring form cake tin or flan dish.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage with an electric whisk — they will become white and will form little 'droopy' peaks.
- Put the egg yolks, lemon zest and sugar into a separate bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Stir in the almonds and the sherry.
- Fold in the egg whites, a little at a time, and then pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, until golden. If you poke a skewer into the middle of the cake, it should come out clean. Cool in the tin, on a wire rack.
- Decorate with icing sugar.
Run for charity
Join Team Sense for RideLondon
Join us and get your invite to an exclusive (and free!) training day at Box Hill on 21 May. With just a £1 reg fee, what are you waiting for? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 330 9257. More >