- Cooking time
- 10 minutes
- 6-8 people
Ingredients hide check list
For the pastry:
For the filling:
- Turn the oven on to 180°C (356°F).
- Prepare the pastry — mix the egg and the sugar together and the slowly incorporate the flour. Mix in the butter with your fingertips. Or pop it all into a food processor and let it do the work for you. Wrap the pastry up into a ball and put it in the fridge for an hour.
- Cut the pastry into thin slices and arrange on and up the sides of your tart dish, pushing each piece together gently so that it forms a nice flat surface — this gives you a nice thin pastry case and it is easier than rolling it over with a rolling pin. Prick lightly all over the base of the pastry with a fork and if you can, put it in the fridge for half an hour or so to settle.
- Cover the case with greaseproof paper and line with baking beans. Bake blind in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the filling — melt the butter with the syrup and coconut cream. Stir it until the mixture bubbles and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the dates and mix them round in the syrup to make sure they are well coated. Remove the dates with a slotted spoon and arrange them on the pastry base.
- Add the rum, cardamom and orange flower water to the syrup.
- Pour the syrup onto the pastry — you might not need all of it as you want to be able to see the dates. Save some of the syrup for later.
- Cook in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until bubbling all over.
- When the tart is slightly cooled, brush with the syrup you saved.
- Leave to cool and set.
- You could serve this with a dollop of whipped cream or crème fraiche, flavoured with a pinch of ground cardamom.
Run for charity
Join Team Sense for RideLondon
Join us and get your invite to an exclusive (and free!) training day at Box Hill on 21 May. With just a £1 reg fee, what are you waiting for? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 330 9257. More >