- Cooking time
- 30-40 minutes
- 2 people
Ingredients hide check list
For the couscous:
There is something very convivial about sitting at the table and assembling your own wrap. You put in exactly what you want, you eat it with your fingers (yes, you will definitely need napkins or kitchen towel with this meal!), and there is always the temptation to pile on too much delicious spicy chicken and fresh salsa, which means you invariably end up with the whole thing falling apart on you.
- Coat the chicken in the flour, heat 2 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed casserole dish and brown gently.
- Remove the chicken and then sauté the onion with the bay leaf until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger and the ras-el-hanout spice mix (this is a north-African spice mix that you can buy in most supermarkets now. If you can't find it, use Schwartz Moroccan spice mix or make your own combination with a selection of the following: cumin, coriander, fennel, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, chili) and sauté for a couple of minutes until you smell a delicious aroma being released.
- Add the chicken, the saffron and enough stock to cover the chicken. Bring to the boil, cover and put in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked. Halfway through the cooking, add the apricots.
- Prepare the couscous — rinse in cold water and then place in a bowl with the salt and the butter. Pour over 150ml (5.27 fl oz) boiling water and leave for 5 minutes (check pack for exact quantity of water and how long to leave it). Fluff up the couscous gently with a fork, adding the almonds as you do so.
- When the chicken is cooked, add a spoonful of honey and the orange flower water and cook for a few more minutes. Boil down the juice if too thin, spoon off any excess fat and then add the fresh coriander.
- Taste for seasoning. You may want to add more spice, or a little preserved lemon, finely chopped.
- Serve with the couscous and a fresh rocket salad.
Run for charity
Join Team Sense for RideLondon
Join us and get your invite to an exclusive (and free!) training day at Box Hill on 21 May. With just a £1 reg fee, what are you waiting for? Get in touch at email@example.com or call 0300 330 9257. More >