- Cooking time
- 40 minutes
- 4 people
|Calories||758 kcal (kcal)|
Ingredients hide check list
This is also a very sociable dish to eat as I normally serve it in a large pan or roasting tray in the middle of the table and all the family get stuck in. The addition of merguez or chorizo sausage adds a lovely spicy element to the dish, however be aware that these sausages are very high in fat, which is worth keeping in mind.
- Start by heating up a large pan or shallow roasting tray, then cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft over a medium heat.
- Add the risotto rice and stir well, add the saffron or turmeric and then add the chicane stock cubes and cover rice in water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes over a gentle heat making sure you keep stirring and ensure the rice is kept covered in liquid.
- Add the diced peppers, chilli and diced chicken or rabbit.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Check seasoning.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the prawns.
- Leave to sit/rest for 15 minutes to allow all flavours to be infused.
- Grill the Merguez and slice thinly, sprinkle over the rice with a little of the fat from sausages, then add the tomatoes and serve immediately.
- Cooking time and liquid required varies greatly from each different type and brand of rice, so keep an eye on it when cooking and cook over a gentle heat.