- Cooking time
- 3-5 minutes
- 8 Oatcakes people
Ingredients hide check list
A fantastic start to the day if you plan to do exercise or if you have a big day ahead of you. The mint in the maple syrup makes it slightly less sweet and is the perfect accompaniment to the strawberries. We sometimes warm the syrup and the strawberries together in a pan for a moment before pouring over the oatcakes.
- Mix together the mint and the maple syrup and leave for a few minutes to infuse.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well for the eggs. Break the eggs into the well and then mix together quickly with a metal spoon, gradually adding the milk until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the warm water and the melted butter. Don't let the mixture rest, use it immediately.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and melt a knob of butter in it.
- Cook 3 to 4 oatcakes at a time at a gentle heat, using a scant tablespoon of batter for each cake — you do not want them too thick and they will rise anyway during the cooking process.
- Cook for a minute or two until bubbles start to appear and then flip over and cook for a minute on the other side.
- Serve immediately with the strawberries and the minted maple syrup.