- Cooking time
- 15-20 minutes
- 12 muffins people
Ingredients hide check list
For the cinnamon streusel:
These muffins could be filled with any variety of fruit or dried fruit and nuts. The secret is to make them quickly and to avoid over-mixing. If you do over-mix, the muffin goes rather chewy and tough, so just fold the wet ingredients into the dry until they are just combined and then pop them into the oven.
These muffins contain only a small amount of sugar. We think the dates add enough sweetness. By all means add a bit extra if you prefer a sweeter muffin with your morning cup of coffee. Wholesome and nutritious, these muffins make a great breakfast if you are 'on the go', to have as a snack before a lunchtime workout, or to serve as part of a Sunday brunch with butter and honey.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (356°F) and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases (just 10 if you prefer big muffins).
- Make the streusel topping: mix together the sugar, flour and cinnamon and then add the butter and rub in with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Set aside to sprinkle on top before the muffins go in the oven.
- Add the walnuts and dates and combine.
- Break the eggs into a separate bowl and add the oil, honey, milk and yogurt.
- Beat very lightly with a fork then pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and combine quickly. The mixture will appear lumpy ... don't worry, just spoon it into the muffin cases, sprinkle the demerara sugar on top and pop them into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and eat immediately.
Run for charity
Join Team Sense for RideLondon
Join us and get your invite to an exclusive (and free!) training day at Box Hill on 21 May. With just a £1 reg fee, what are you waiting for? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 330 9257. More >